Campaign Medals Book

Rob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ukphotographs.com
Hi all,

I'm helping a friend who's writing a book about medals. I'm going to be doing some product type shots for some of the actual content - just plain medals against a white background. My friend would also like me to help with a cover picture.

Anyone have any ideas for what would make a good cover image. I'm probably going to use a bit of PS to get it right, but what do you think?

I'm thinking a macro shot with the medal at about 30 degree elevation and 20 degrees tilt i.e. sloping slightly up and sideways to maximise the DOF of the shot. But what for the background?

The audience is probably going to be mainly veterans and enthusiast collectors, so nothing too racey, but any ideas for patterns/textures. It should be noted that this isn't a "War" book, it's just about medals - no politics(!) just an almanac of what they look like and how much they are worth. I guess it's similar to coin and stamp collecting btw.

Many thanks!

Rob

How about a shot of the Medal of Honor or it's equivalent in the UK. It's the most prestige of all medals awarded and shoot it against the same color background as one of the colors in the ribbon. I like the idea of the macro shot too.

That's what I would go for. Let us see what you get. :D

hobbes28 said:
Let us see what you get. :D

<the force> This is the book you are looking for! </the force> :lmao:

I will post the pictures yeah and the details when it's for sale on Amazon. His last book is one of the best selling coin ones ever, so fingers crossed for a bit of publicity and happiness-spreading.

Seriously though I like your idea, and it's pretty much the same one which he used for the coin book - the infamous UK "New Pence" 2p from 1983 (worth £250) as I recall because it has the word "New" not "Two". It's interesting in a slightly geeky way, I think most boys have the collecting instinct in some way genetically built in.

Rob

how about a "mosaique"... I mean... loads of medals so the background won't be visible? the whole cover in medals?

mentos_007 said:
how about a "mosaique"... I mean... loads of medals so the background won't be visible? the whole cover in medals?

Yeah, good idea, but they're scattered to the four winds and I'd have to PS them together and I reckon it would look tooooo PS'd. I'll give it a go though!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back