can this be trusted?

Go with a friend. Maybe it's legit, if so, then score. Just be careful and go with a preferably a big guy friend.

BTW with the way he talks and the fact he doesn't have the charger all points to it being stolen, but that persons lost is your gain. You may want to use a fake name though...

It's a stolen D90 I'll bet but it'll take just as good pictures as one you buy in a store.

I'd meet in a populated spot, like a cafe.

mmmmmmm.... Dunno about that.
not about the camera but sketchy sketchy person.

I bought my D90 for $685 with only 3 shutter clicks on it and everything in its origianl packages!!!! Best thing I ever bought!! I too bought it off of craigslist, we met at a gas station.

I don't think he sounds sketchy. He either researched or happened to guess, that B&H is one of the most reputable places, people prefer Canon to nikon (lol, just a preference), he knows it uses a CF card. I think he's a legit photo junky like the rest of us.

I am the same way when I post something on Craigs List. I don't want a bunch of tire kickers, emailing me asking if I have it still, will I just give it to them cause they are on disability, will I take payments, will I drive it to their house!!!! You want it, come get it! Don't like the price, keep looking! It's a fair price, it's brand new, comes with a CF card (probably from his Canon gear). I would take it if you are looking for a deal.

I don't think he sounds sketchy. He either researched or happened to guess, that B&H is one of the most reputable places, people prefer Canon to nikon (lol, just a preference), he knows it uses a CF card. I think he's a legit photo junky like the rest of us.

I am the same way when I post something on Craigs List. I don't want a bunch of tire kickers, emailing me asking if I have it still, will I just give it to them cause they are on disability, will I take payments, will I drive it to their house!!!! You want it, come get it! Don't like the price, keep looking! It's a fair price, it's brand new, comes with a CF card (probably from his Canon gear). I would take it if you are looking for a deal.

I have a two D90s and neither one take a compact flash card. They both take an SD card. Unless they're the same thing (which I'm 99.9% sure they're not) then he's confused or it's stolen.

If you think it's stolen I would hope you wouldn't buy it. True, it's a great deal and if you don't buy it someone else will. But it only keeps the thief in business and he/she will keep on stealing. Who knows, maybe I'll see your camera on CL for a super good deal ;)

There is soooo much wrong with this post.....

Possession of stolen property is against the law. Buying stolen property is against the law as well. Doing so will land you in serious trouble not to mention you will be out of hard earned cash.

If he is a canon user why would he have a nikon 90? without explaining how he got it. Sound fishy but at the same time he is in SoHo. thats the attitude! Ask for the serial numbers on it before you go to see him. see what happens there!

comes with a CF card (probably from his Canon gear)

I have a two D90s and neither one take a compact flash card. They both take an SD card. Unless they're the same thing (which I'm 99.9% sure they're not) then he's confused or it's stolen.

Your right, I shoot Canon so I didn't know. But that does not make it stolen. I buy things to sell all the time, or take trades on things if I know it can make more money on.

There is soooo much wrong with this post.....

Ohh really? Please elaborate, I would love to hear why eveyone thinks this HAS TO BE STOLEN!

If he is a canon user why would he have a nikon 90? without explaining how he got it. Sound fishy but at the same time he is in SoHo. thats the attitude! Ask for the serial numbers on it before you go to see him. see what happens there!

Why does he have to explain himself. I have a Chevy and I am a Ford driver; I have a Mac, but I am a PC user; I have an RCA TV, but I prefer Sony. Maybe he won it, maybe he got it in trade for gear, maybe he clubbed some old lady over the head for it!

You cannot tell by the context of someones words if he is a criminal! Damn people, do we trust no one these days? I can post the most well spoken, gramatically correct, "I'm baking apple pie" while I type this, bull**** Craigslist ad. Does that mean any of it is true? On that same thought, I can be a grumpy dick, and have a hell of a deal and be just as real as Suzy home maker selling apple pie, that she could have just made out of children!!

Possession of stolen property is against the law. Buying stolen property is against the law as well. Doing so will land you in serious trouble not to mention you will be out of hard earned cash.

WHO SAID IT WAS STOLEN! Lack of comprehension should be against the law.

The key point is if you know it is a stolen property before you buy/own it, it is against the law.

Or, if it is too good to be truth, a normal person will think the item maybe a stolen good, it is against the law. But I think this one is a little hard to define.

So if you bought a stolen D90 body for $650 which is what a used D90 camera usually cost without knowing it is stolen, it is not against the law. However, if you purchase a new D90 body for $200 and it is a stolen property, you MAYBE in trouble once the authority track down the camera.

Well, if you have a lot of spare time, you can take a look at this thread in POTN
Karma and my beloved 70-200 - Canon Digital Photography Forums

Some lawyers post information regarding stolen property in the middle of fifty something pages.

For me, if I think the price is just too good and the seller is kind of suspicious, I will pass.

Most reactions

Back