Candid photo with sprinkler -CC please

nattyclaire08

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Brand new here and very inexperienced with my dslr and PSE. It is so hard to catch my twin toddlers in the same frame these days, so I was surprised to get this shot. Here's a candid photo of my girls after my attempts at editing in PSE.

20100404_Easter2010050_photobucket.jpg

Lovely photo.

They are precious!

But, their skin tone looks a little red. Was this during sunset?

They are precious!

But, their skin tone looks a little red. Was this during sunset?

Thanks to everyone. Yes, it was close to sunset. Is that a common problem at that time of day?

Yes, it was close to sunset. Is that a common problem at that time of day?

Very much so. The sun looks orange or red at sunset because the orange and red wavelengths are all that can make it through the thicker atmosphere (due to the angle of the sun). Since all you have are orange and red wavelengths of light, things tend to look orange or red.

Fortunatly, our brains automatically compensate for the difference in light levels. We don't see things that way because our brain is able to fix it for us. Cameras don't have that ability, so even though it looks normal when you take the picture, it won't look normal once you see it.

To fix it, either a fill flash is needed to create extra "white" light" or play around with your white balance.

Lovely pic but the white balance is off.

Thanks. I took this in JPEG and RAW. I'll have to play around with the white balance in the RAW editor. I think I screwed up the white balance with my original editing. The edited picture has a blue haze to it. Here's the original picture:

20100404_Easter2010050orignalphotob.jpg

Lovely pic but the white balance is off.

Thanks. I took this in JPEG and RAW. I'll have to play around with the white balance in the RAW editor. I think I screwed up the white balance with my original editing. The edited picture has a blue haze to it. Here's the original picture:

20100404_Easter2010050orignalphotob.jpg

Much better. Watch over saturating photos in PP.

Great photo.

p!nK

The original's colors are perfect.. It's a really nice photo, I didn't like the processing on your first post.

I edited it a little. Brightened up faces a bit. Tried to make the grass greener but goofed it (see halos, uneven coloring, etc. I suck)..
If I did a crappy job tell me to take it down and poof.

twins-natty.jpg

Last edited:
The original's colors are perfect.. It's a really nice photo, I didn't like the processing on your first post.

I edited it a little. Brightened up faces a bit. Tried to make the grass greener but goofed it (see halos, uneven coloring, etc. I suck)..
If I did a crappy job tell me to take it down and poof.

I totally appreciate everyone's pointers (oversaturation, white balance). I knew I hated my PP but couldn't figure out why. Yours looks tons better; no poof needed. I'm such a newbie that I had to look up the term "halo". Making the grass greener is definitely on my "to learn" list.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back