HoboSyke

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone here using this lens ?

IM considering buying one just wanting to know how people find using them and there quality.

I presume in good lighting conditions the lens would perform quite well?

Cheers. :mrgreen:

The lens really performs, its great. Some people may not like the push/pull mechanism for zooming but I find it handy and convenient especially when shooting in a hurry. The IS is magic, at 400mm you'll feel like your wobbling and shaking a lot, I rarely get an unfocused image. The build quality of the lens is second to none, its just perfect, I love it! If you don't use a battery grip on your 20D I suggest you might want one... the lens feels heavy and big, and the additional battery pack will help you feel like you have a better grip, as well as making it look at little more well proportioned!

Beware its a heavy lump to lug around with you all day.

Best money I ever spent... its certainly expensive!

HoboSyke said:

And you would presume correctly ...
It's not a low-light lens!

I also agree with what Becky has posted .... except for the "lump" description.

I find it to be one of the easiest carrying, handling lenses that I have. I've shot lacrosse, baseball, and soccer all day hand-holding this lens with absolutely no problem. Compared to the long 2.8 lenses I have, this one is remarkably "light" .....

I've never regretted buying it, and it's actually my first choice for outdoor "day" sports ....

Another user here and I would echo what was already mentioned above. It can still perform well in low light but AF slows down, it doesn't do a bad job in shade. For a zoom lense in this range it is rather sharp. I'm able to crop pictures heavily and still get decent results. I don't have a problem carrying this lens around and I'm not the biggest person at 5'6" you do have to switch arms every few minutes when walking around but it's really not that bad and compact when not extended.

As for the push pull design, I like it. I had to get used to it, but it was really only a matter of a couple of days before I became familiar with the lens.

If you are tight on cash you should look around for a used one, I got a used one for a great price and it was in Mint condition. No regrets whatsoever.

Cool, thanks for the valuable input guys and gals.
I can get the lens for AU$2300 Australian dollars new.
Can't wait!

cecilc said:
I also agree with what Becky has posted .... except for the "lump" description.

You may comment differently if you were my size! This lens is nearly heavier than me! :lmao:

HoboSyke said:
Anyone here using this lens ?

IM considering buying one just wanting to know how people find using them and there quality.

Cheers. :mrgreen:

It's the dogs nuts. I just bought one. It's great!

There are some pictures taken under tungsten with it here:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=410340#post410340

(They aren't very good, but watch this space for some better ones!)

Rob

Ye its expensive but its a really nice lens, i considered it but then choose the 70-200mm F4L lens instead :D I LOVE it, but depends what you need the lens for to if it will be any good for yourself.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back