Canon 24-105 F4L for wedding on crop sensor?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Ryan L, May 14, 2010.

1. Ryan L

Ryan L TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Well I was really debuting between the 70-200 f4 IS or the 2.8 non IS. Now I am second guessing and thinking I should be getting the 24-105 f4 IS since I have a crop sensor and will be getting a 50d which is also a crop sensor.
    I shoot a lot of sports, nature, but my friends wedding in August is really driving me toward the 24-105. It's outdoors so I dont think the f4 will be limiting me. I found one locally for 900 (used but in ex condition).

On my crop sensor do you think this will be a better option? They keep their value so it's not like I can't sell it later on and incur little loss. I really think the 70-200 f2.8 better suits my everyday needs. *Thoughts anyone?*

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Tough decision, but is this a sort of one-time deal (the wedding) and the desire to shoot that event well, versus a more long-term need for a fast tele-zoom lens? It sounds like it's that way to me. I dunno...the 24-105 L is a handy lens, but more so on FF than on 1.6x,although it is a good lens on 1.6x, it's just that it's missing that real wide-angle capability on a 1.6x body. If the 70-200 truly does better suit your everyday needs, it would probably better to go with your instincts and buy for your most-commonly needed types of situations, which would mean getting a 70-200,and using some other lens for the wedding.

3. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you are mainly shooting sports and nature, stick with the 70-200. And even save up for the IS, or compensate by using a monopod or tripod if you get shaky.

If you want a wider lens for your friend's wedding, and this is your only wedding and you dont plan on doing weddings too often, rent a 17-55 f/2.8 lens, or a 24-70 f/2.8 lens, for the day. You can use this rented lens along with your 70-200 and have a wide range covered.

On a crop, I would probably look at the 17-55. 17 is nice and wide on a crop for group shots and indoor / close quarters, and 55 can get some decent portraits. If you are further back, put on the 70-200.

The goal for weddings, even outdoors, is the 2.8. DOF control and for when it gets darker. I understand its outside, but is the wedding over at 6pm when the sun goes down?

4. Ryan L

Ryan L TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This is a one time deal for now, someday I would love to do weddings but I wouldn't dare do one now and charge someone to donone now. The only thing that has me is my favorite lens is my 28-135 IS, focal length is similar and I am comfortable using it. I have a 50mm 1.8 I could use for portrait work at the wedding. Sports wise football is the use for the lens, even that's a stretch at 200mm, I have the kit 55-250 IS now that I use and it's...eh. The other sports are in the gymnasium and the 50mm 1.8 is my only option due to the awful lighting.

5. Ryan L

Ryan L TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have a tripod, and looking at getting mono. The wedding is at 4pm and the pictures are before.

I am impulsive and hate to wait, but I have heard before to get the 2.8 IS not the f4. I want a new toy now! Lol

6. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My 2cents:
    A lot, and I really mean A LOT has to do with your shooting style. If you prefer to shoot wide open, the perhaps 2.8 is what you need. My self, I show up with at least two strobe lights, bunch of speedlites and since sharpest apertures are usually 2-3 stops above the widest open, I rarely if ever need to shoot wider then 5.6; therefore for me 18-200 is a perfect lens. Of course, when I need to do something specific, thats when another lens comes out.
    But thats my style :)