Canon 50 mm 1.4 or 1.8??

shelbysoho

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I've been stuck in the process of buying a new lens. I have read countless reviews on the 50 mm 1.4 and the 1.8 and I know their slight differences, but I want to know what YOU all think I should end up spending my money on. 80 or 325 bucks?
I am a student who is tight on money, but also I factor in the quality.

What I really want to know is, is spending all that money really worth it in the end? What makes them so different other than greater bokeh and it is a bit faster?

What one should I go with?

Thanks!!

Get the 1.8, you won't be disappointed or hungry! Spring for a UV filter & hood while your at it. -Shea

Pretty much in my book it comes down to two things. Bokeh and build. Bokeh is nicer in the 1.4. The build is much nicer in the 1.4. No plastic mount and total plastic housing.

If you are looking for a lens to keep in the bag for occasional use I would go for the 1.8. If on the other hand you are looking for a work horse that will see a lot of use I would choose the 1.4.

I choose the 1.4 as I grew up on film and use primes constantly including the 50mm.

What makes them so different other than greater bokeh and it is a bit faster?

Usability, build quality, USM, DOF scale, resale value (like you would ever sell it)...

I like the 1.4. Never used the 1.8 before, everyone seems to love it though.

If you can afford it, I would get the 1.4 - if not, get the 1.8.

Last edited:
well, the majority of my work is concert photography; which means low light situations. i've been working my current cameras lens to the bone with its lowest 3.5 aperature. I am in need for a change..

well, the majority of my work is concert photography; which means low light situations. i've been working my current cameras lens to the bone with its lowest 3.5 aperature. I am in need for a change..

I don't think 1/3 [2/3, actually] of a stop (1.4 vs. 1.8) is going to make a huge difference here. Either lens should be fast enough, don't let that be the deciding factor.

Last edited:
If you are thinking of the Canon 1.4, you should also probably be looking at the Sigma 1.4 -- outstanding reviews (but a bit more pricey than the Canon). I'm working on the same dilemma.

Ian

I found f/1.8 to work very well for concert photos on my D40 at ISO 800.

I took all of these using either f/1.8, f/2 or f/2.8.

I suppose that, if you can afford the f/1.4, go for it for the reasons mentioned a few posts up, but, if not, f/1.8 will certainly do what you need it to.

Thanks for all of your help guys, I'm ordering the 1.8 tonight! :wink:

I say go with the 50mm f/1.4 if the $325 is affordable. On a budget? Go with the 50mm f/1.8 as it is a bug bang for the buck lens... you won't regret either.

I agree. I have the F/1.8. In the beginning, I do not know too much about photography and camera system as a whole, I went with the F/1.8. When I compare the images I took from the kit lens and the 50mm, I know I make the right choice. For that little cost, (esp I received a email coupon of $20 off $80 from Google check out) all I can say is ... IT WORTH IT.

At that time, I do not see I really need the F/1.4 even if I have the money.

But now, I think differently. I would rather have a F/1.4 if money is not an issue. It is not just because of the faster lens. It is the overall package with the lens. As mentioned by others forum members, metal mount (if you switch lens quite often), build quality, Dof Scale, creamier look of blur background as well as the USM.

If you are tight in money. Just go with the F/1.8. You will be happy. Even I prefer to have a 1.4, but I save those extra money for a different lens. Just ask yourself the questions. Are those extra features/benefits worth the extra cost according to your standard? Do you really need those extra features/benefits?

If I ever get a prime it will be 50 f/1.4 heard some really good things about it while 1.8 is cheap and good but there was a thread on here awhile ago about it falling apart quite easily :D so I'd rather pay like 200 dollars more than buying a lens that MAY will fall apart

It was one report of a 50mm f/1.8 falling apart.... out of thousands upon thousands sold. I'm sure there is someone out there with a failed f/1.4 too.

No product produced has a zero failure rate.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back