Canon 600D V Nikon D7100

Peakapot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there.

I am looking to upgrade my Canon 600D to a Nikon D7100. My question is simply does it justify the £1150 it will cost me for the camera, lens and flash.

I will be the photographer at my friend's wedding soon. I am doing this free of charge for him. At the moment I shoot portraits in a small home studio and the Canon is more than good enough. I do the occasional cake smash with children and family shoots.

I recently helped my friend as a second photographer at a 30th birthday party. She used the Nikon D7100 and I had my Canon. My canon really struggled in the low light where as the Nikon was excellent. I had a quick shot of the Nikon and was very impressed.

I plan to help her as a second photographer at weddings and party's in the future.

Would anybody advise this upgrade or would you suggest something else.

I looked at the difference in each camera and I'm not really all too sure what it all means. This link explains the differences.

Compare the Canon EOS 600D vs the Nikon D7100

Any help or guidance would be great.

Regards Dan

Sent from my Nexus 6P using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Used to own the D7100 for 2 years and its an amazing camera, really good low light performance, auto focus system and dynamic range.
Invited my friend to shoot a wedding with me, he had his D7100, when I processed his pictures they were really good for this type of work, granted not as good as my D750 but considering its a crop sensor camera it was impressing and I wouldn't have any problem shooting a whole event with such a camera.
It will be a big jump from the 600D
The 600D has the old 18MP sensor in it so you are looking at a jump in low light performance, better dynamic range, more resolution, better auto focus system, better body, second wheel dial, second SD card (which is very important in any paid gig for backing up your pictures), many more features.

So yes I would recommend this upgrade, you will be happy with this camera.

Well, you're comparing a 2011 Canon using their "old sensor" tech and a weak, 9-point + 1-cross type AF system versus a 2013 Nikon with a "new-era" Sony Exmor sensor and a 51-point AF + 15 cross-type focus system. The Nikon has more than double the battery life by CIPA's actual testing (flash on 50% of frames). The Nikon has about two EV more in scene dynamic range capability, and has a much,much higher overall sensor performance score. This is not even a fair comparison of models, and you saw it yourself when you wrote, "My canon really struggled in the low light where as the Nikon was excellent. I had a quick shot of the Nikon and was very impressed". The two cameras are of different "classes", and by a fair margin too.

The D7100 was, when it was introduced, probably the best of the intermediate level d-slrs on the market, due to the inclusion of Nikon's then top-tier 51-point AF system, which had been migrated downward from the D3-series to the serious enthusiast level. Nikon's top-level "serious enthusiast" camera has been, for 40 years, a very,very capable model, and has often been a commonly-used camera as a professional use camera, or as a pro-backup body, and that's the category the D7100 was in in 2013. The 600D is a consumer-level pentamirror camera with 95% frame coverage and low magnification; the D7100 is a pentaprism camera with 100% frame coverage.

Well I cant add much to what was already said, but as a D7200 owner which is pretty similar but with some improvements over the D7100 yes it be well worth the D7100 upgrade it's no doubt an excellent performing camera.

Thank you very much guys. You have confirmed what I had originally thought. I have decided to go for the D7200 as the NFC feature is perfect for me. Having some confirmation form this forum has made it easier for me to justify the £1300 I will be looking to spend on the D7200 & SB-700. Thank you once again.

Regards Dan

Thank you very much guys. You have confirmed what I had originally thought. I have decided to go for the D7200 as the NFC feature is perfect for me. Having some confirmation form this forum has made it easier for me to justify the £1300 I will be looking to spend on the D7200 & SB-700. Thank you once again.

Regards Dan

The D7200 is obviously even slightly better then the D7100, with even better dynamic range and low light performance and tweaked auto focus system and you do feel it especially in lower light situation where the D7100 already excel the D7200 is even better.
The D7200 is very good, you will love it :)

Good choice Dan...the semi-pro Nikon bodies, like the Nikkormats of the 60's and 70s, the Nikon FM and FE series of the 70's-80's, and the N8008 series and the N90 and then the F100 series, and the D200 and D300 series and the D7xxx series, all have been Nikon's high-end "serious enthusiast" or "semi-pro" type bodies; ever since I was a kid, I've seen this "class" of Nikon camera body being used by working professionalss in various fields. You're gonna love the D7200!!!

1486990217727.jpg

It arrived today. I am in love with it.

Great combo, bought mine roughly a year ago and I'm very happy with it. I got a SB 800 instead of the SB 700 off ebay though.

Congratulations, enjoy your new camera and flash.

Most reactions

Back