Canon 7D sees dead people.

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by inTempus, Oct 27, 2009.

1. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Support - EOS (SLR) Camera Systems - EOS Digital SLR Cameras - EOS 35mm SLR Cameras - Lenses - Flashes - Digital SLR Camera - EOS 7D - Service Notices - Canon USA Consumer Products

LOL... that didn't take long. The first service notice. I guess it's not a full blown recall... whew. You have to wonder how some of this stuff makes it through testing prior to release.

2. beni_hung

beni_hung TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Great...

3. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Interesting. I was shooting a hummingbird today at rapid sequence and I don't see any evidence of it, but will have to keep my eyes open.

4. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Honestly in the examples I have seen you really do have to edit the shots a certain way to get the effect to show enough - and even then its just a ghosting. OK it should not be there in the first place, but with proper exposures and lighter level editing in the testing phase I can see how this might have slipped though.

5. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't know, I guess I would expect them to be analyzing the data captured of test images and not just eyeballing the images that the camera produces... looking for pattern noise, ghost artifacts, things like that digitally. I guess my expectations are a bit unrealistic. :)

6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Less than one month after introduction, Canon issued firmware update 1.09. Initial cameras shipped with firmware 1.07. A number of users are reporting AF problems--mostly professional sports and news shooters. And that's not all...

The camera''s widely touted 8 frames per second frame rate drops/slows down in low light conditions
    7D, 8FPS? only in good light! - FM Forums

here is an example of the ghost image problem, in this FM thread Known 7D problems - FM Forums

and another sample

7D Ghost Images - FM Forums
    377731.jpg

Even with a fast shutter speed set indoors, the 7D will drop below its 8 fps firing rate,so widely touted and so desired by pro sports shooters.

As one owner reports, "If the light entering the camera drops below proper exposure for ISO3200, 1/100 and f2.8, then the number of shots per second starts to drop. All auto settings off, fully manual exposure, and no focusing going on. Moving the camera from dark to light areas while running causes the frame rate to go up and going into a dark area makes it drop. All of this in what is fully manual operation. The same thing does not happen with the 20D nor the 40D. They hold on to their maximum frame rate no matter what. It does not make sense that the camera has to do this. What this implies is that if you want to do high speed frames in darker situations you might be out of luck and the 40D will do better! "--end owner quote

Who remembers the "black dots" issue that every early shipping 5D Mark II had? yeah, one would think Canon might atually look hard an evaluate images before selling cameras, but it seems like a rush to get things out the door ASAP. A firmware update just three weeks after shipping the first cameras? "Ridonculous," as Jimmy Fallon says.

7. Overread

Photos OK to edit
    Didn't Nikon have to recall one of their recent releases - or recall a significant number of them for repairs?

just evening the score - morning all!

As for the FPS bit that does leave me somewhat confused - but I'm thinking that the cause is noise reduction based. A well exposed shot will have less noise and thus less processing is needed - whilst an underexposed shot will (most often) have more noise to combat -- so it might be that when the camera detects underexposure in a shot it applies more noise reduction to that shot in editing - thus lowering the FPS. Chances are this might be turn offable through some custom fuction in the main meun

8. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

9. Overread

Photos OK to edit
    erm Dao --- methinks you can read something most here can't even begin to fathom ;)

10. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

:) me think some online translator do work sometimes (with guessing)

11. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Not at all, I say. Cameras are not the simple beings of film days. They are highly sophisticated, nightmarishly complicated, super-specialized computers. And then there's the software to go with it. Software is fixable, hardware, not so much. And, like all software, the original developer doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of catching every last little detail. They probably dealt with the more major, and far less rare issues first (go figure). It's only when you hand over your software and hardware to the general public that you suddenly get a gigantic number of testers, using the bloody thing in every manner imaginable, and bugs are bound to crop up.

So, I've got no qualms with fast firmware updates. Hell, they could've pulled a Microsoft and waited three months before fixing anything. Or even a year. But then people would get angry about them waiting so long, just like they're angry about them moving too fast. ;)

Point, these machines are far too complicated to get perfect right out the door. It's the price we early adopters pay for being on the bleeding edge. If 7D owners out there weren't expecting hiccups, they're really, really naive.

Anyway, I have confidence that Canon is going to fix-up their errors. (I kinda laugh at the erroneous flash exposure problem. Oh noes! A slightly off frame, on digital! Ack! Just shoot another one for goodness sake. :lol: )

12. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, the D5000 had not one but two recalls right after release. It seems that the race Nikon and Canon are in to get new products to market couple of months is causing them to get very sloppy in their development.

But that doesn't excuse Canon's sloppiness. I've also read about the 7D's AF problems.

It seems to me the 7D's new 19 point AF system wasn't fully tested... and smacks of the 1D3 debacle.