Canon 7Dii Focus Issue Thread

Braineack

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When will the 7Diii come out?

What a waste of a nice AF module when it can't even achieve focus.

Been following that somewhat on the other forum. Seems there was a bad batch with that problem? Advice I heard was to test it out as soon as you get it. Servo, high-speed and see where it's focusing. Send it back in for replacement if bad. But yeah, seems QC is often overlooked nowadays to some degree.

Eh sometimes its not that QC is overlooked just that what appears to be a good batch system lets through too many flaws or a newer product throws up a batch error that isn't expected. So long as its just one bad batch and Canon repairs/replaces as needed it shouldn't be a problem.

IF anything a launch error tends to be more commonplace for both Canon and Nikon (and I suspect other companies).

I'd only worry if they stopped giving proper consumer support.

2 threads started within 2 minutes, bangin' on Canon. Do these things concern you, as you prepare to switch to Canon? Or are you just concerned for the Canon users the world over? :rolleyes-39:

2 threads started within 2 minutes, bangin' on Canon. Do these things concern you, as you prepare to switch to Canon? Or are you just concerned for the Canon users the world over? :rolleyes-39:
He's just trollin because he shoots Nikon and they've had a fair few QC issues lately. Oily sensors, AF modules cutting off flair, green tint, AF module alignment issues.

He's just trollin because he shoots Nikon and they've had a fair few QC issues lately. Oily sensors, AF modules cutting off flair, green tint, AF module alignment issues.
And don't forget the light leak on the new D-750!

Flare gives the image a retro style, very popular these days, hence the Nikon have included this type of effect in his latest model, for free. :biglaugh:

Just trying to even up the playing field. There's like 4 threads going on right now about the D750 light leak issue, but none about the 7Dii focus issue.

My post on the 1Dx was purely a joke.

here's an example of the focusing issue on the 7Dii:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/82/1078682.jpg
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/84/1078684.jpg

both were at 1/2500s.

even when bench testing:

http://1.static.img-dpreview.com/files/w/TS940x940?url=http://roryhill.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v112/p487239019.jpg&signature=8Di6Y/6n7GzluOXcH3q+6wgp9UE=

close by no cigar:

7D Mark II - Focus Issues -- Canon EOS Digital Cameras in photography-on-the.net forums

To be fair it's not happening to all of them, but I've read at least 40 or so accounts of people having issues and sending multiple copies in for replacements/service. I've seen some great shots with it, but also I've seen a lot of users complain that the IQ is just not there, even with good focus. I've noticed this on a lot of shots as well, I've viewed a lot of images from the 7Dii that seems to lack the fine detail I'd expect.

Also to be fair I have a Canon Rebel that I want to shoot but the CF card pins are bent, which I repaired, but one was also pushed in that I cannot fix unless I desolder the CF card slot from the PCB and replace it.

Last edited:
...... Just trying to even up the playing field. There's like 4 threads going on right now about the D750 light leak issue, but none about the 7Dii focus issue.....
Ya, we can see it's really bothering you lol. Fanboi.

"Even things up"??

I was unaware we were keeping score. Let me go get my pad of paper so I can track the scores on these Nikon v. Canon threads. <sigh>

I've become numb to the "new camera has <focus/light-leak/flare/etc.> issues" threads. It seems like every time anybody releases a new camera body (and remember... these things are in photo-type... often several design variations... and in the hands of pro shooters for a LONG TIME before they ever release) there's a mob of hyper-sensitive gear-heads who will complain the camera is a joke (despite the enormous pile of quality images being produced by lots of other people with the same camera.)

Every so often there's a real issue that needs to be addressed and for the most part, these are addressed. But I disagree with labeling a product as junk because someone found an issue. Especially when some people need to go to extremes and use the cameras in rather unnatural ways in an effort to reproduce a "problem."

On a more serious note, I took a peek at some of the focus test links you provided and find that they are not credible. For all we know, someone put frosted glass in front of the camera so that everything would be blurred. I say this because, if the lens is fine but the camera is missing focus, then there should be SOME OTHER PLACE where we see that something actually IS in focus -- even if it's not the spot where we're supposed to have focus.

If I put frosted glass in front of a sensor and do phase detect AF, the AF sensor WILL FOCUS and declare that it locked. That's because it's job isn't to provide tack-sharp focus according to OUR eyes... it's job is to bring two halves of a split-beam image "into phase" with one another. There is a difference (and it's an important difference.) That means I can grab any DSLR you hand me (as long as it has phase-detect AF) and simulate "missed focus" all day long (it'd be a deception, but I can certainly do it.)

So as I look at the bird flying over the field of grass... doesn't it strike you as odd that there isn't a single blade of tall grasses ANYWHERE in that image which would qualify as being more or less in-focus. In fact... the bird is the most in-focus thing in the whole image. That suggests the camera is working great and there's a problem with the lens.

Another issue I find with Canon's new AF system, is a large number of shooters (and dare I say... even top-pro shooters) who don't know how to use it, mis-use it, and then blame the camera for their own inability to use it correctly. The 1D X, 5D III, and 7D II all have very similar (not quite identical) focus system. They all have the ability to do "spot" focus, single-point AF, expanded area AF, surround area AF, zone AF, and auto-AF selection modes. These modes are not interchangeable... they all have a purpose. Canon suggests that expanded area AF or surround area AF are probably the most appropriate modes for birding and birds in flight. Do we know if the photographer was even using an appropriate focus mode? Do we know if the photographer has even bothered to learn what these various modes do? Because I have _definitely_ seen photographers who mis-use the focus mode system and blame the gear instead of their own lack of knowledge.

This is not to suggest that there might not be some copy of a 7D II out there with a focus problem. I suspect that if we look long enough, we can find a mis-calibrated copy of any DSLR camera model on the market.

But @TCampbell, EVERYTHING you seen on the interwebz is true and real. Why would someone want to go and suggest other wise? Or is this one of them there conspiracy things I've heard about?

...... Just trying to even up the playing field. There's like 4 threads going on right now about the D750 light leak issue, but none about the 7Dii focus issue.....
Ya, we can see it's really bothering you lol. Fanboi.

I'm actually a shill; get it right.

Most reactions

Back