Canon 85mm 1.2L II - Impressions and questions

I shot a piece of aluminum foil real quick with the 85 1.8 at three different exposures to see how that affected the c/a. For the way I shoot this rarely comes up with this lens. Mostly with high contrast or back lit shots that I normally wouldn't shoot wide open anyway. If this lens (the 1.8) had a closer mfd I might be inclined to use it differently and I might fine it to be more prevalent though. I guess it's a case of it's limitation actually helping for once.

example1.jpg

example2mt.jpg

example3p.jpg

This is very interesting.

I am able to see them now, since I am at home.

Thanks for the pics related to the topic. :thumbup:

Last edited:
UPDATE: In the interest of a fair review, I am posting 3 pics that display the beautiful bokeh this lens creates. I want everyone to understand that this is an outstanding lens despite its flaws(which are numerous).

These were all shot wide open handheld. I was able to(and required to) use extremely fast shutter speeds due to the large aperture.

1/8000th sec
IMG_8991.jpg

1/8000th sec
IMG_8993.jpg

1/4000th sec
IMG_9006.jpg

I can still see the CA on the 2nd one man. CA is very easy to fix though. What do you do in Japan? Which Yakuza do you work for? Where do you get all this $$? LOL.

I can still see the CA on the 2nd one man. CA is very easy to fix though.

You beat me to it.

I was just about to post that I thought I saw CA in #2. Its not very bad though, like the 4 CA example pics.

Do you just clone it out or something? I suck at PS lol.

You got to admit that this lens is pretty impressive. I cant wait to do some real work with it.

Its like Derrel said, its like a race car. It goes really fast, but it might just blow up on you lol.

I can still see the CA on the 2nd one man. CA is very easy to fix though. What do you do in Japan? Which Yakuza do you work for? Where do you get all this $$? LOL.

LOL

I work for the U.S. Air Force as a civilian contractor.

The money came from saving during my 8 years in the Navy.

I did like 12 deployments to Afghanistan, Kuwait, Oman and the Philippines during my service. They pay you a lot of extra money for being over there.

It's mostly gone now though lol, but at least I got some top gear to show for it! :mrgreen:

I just realized that #3 probably would have been better with the focus point in the center of the shot, not at the bottom.

You guys agree?

You didnt really fix it LOL.

I need to practice with PS more...I can see that.

Its more fun for me to shoot than to edit.

Neil.. I have used PS for a while. Just recently started shooting. I always love PP more than shooting :).

^^^
My new photo editor

Im broke now lol.

Can I pay you in rice maybe? My wife's parents can get it for free from time to time!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back