Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II LENS

Toanaldino

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hey guys,

My first post, just wondering is there much difference btw the EF 50mm and the lens I got with my Canon 400D (18-55mm)?

Is it worth the upgrade? And what type of photograph is the 50mm handle for?

Cheers
Toan

Well, you compare two very different things here, one of them a zoom with variable focal length, which happens to be the kit lens, known to be not the best zoom Canon has on offer, and on the other hand a prime lens with one focal length only (you cannot zoom in or out) which by being a prime lens comes with rather good image quality.

The 50mm prime will limit you in terms of versatility, it is just not the perfect focal length for many situations (e.g. too short for wildlife, too long for many architecutal shots). However, its image quality is by far superior to the zoom. Also its much wider maximum aperture allows for much more creative shooting and comes in handy in low light situations.

For me personally the 50mm on a small digital APS-C sensor is also a very good portrait lens.

Thanks Alex, since it's not expensive, I'll purchase it and experiment around.

Cheers

You can have good indoor photography in low light, excellent portraits with pleasant bokeh. But as Alex said it is for a specific purpose. Cost will justify by far with the portraits alone you will get with that...

I wouldn't say it's for a specific purpose. In fact, a 50mm lens was the typical 'kit' lens that was sold with just about every 35mm SLR camera for probably 20 or 30 years. People used those lenses for anything and everything...and you can too.

Most reactions

Back