Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L (non-IS) Sharpness Test #2

jamesino

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I posted a series of sharpness test before on this forum and still unsure whether my copy is sharp or not, I worked on my skill this lens some more and have provided the following images to test. All shots were taken at ISO 100 and Wide open at f/4. The body used was a 400D/Xti and the AF point was selected manually without recomposing. I realized that these shots were not taken on a tripod, but if these shots were, would these shots fall within the acceptable sharpness range of a 70-200 f/4L?

All shots were taken in RAW and converted to PNG in ACR 4.5 without any post-processing or sharpening. The photos are all full-frame with a 100% crop inset.

Test 1
1/2500, 118mm

test1.png

Test 2
1/3200s, 81mm

test2.png

Test 3
1/640s, 126mm

test3.png

Test 4
1/800s, 149mm

test4.png

Test 5
1/640s, 91mm

test5.png

Resolution here appears good. I wouldn't worry about the quality of your copy - looks similar to what I get on my 70-200 f/2.8. Your shutter speeds are also fast enough here that the lack of a tripod probably isn't contributing a huge amount to the test.

Colour and contrast are also looking good here.

Cheers,
Peter

They look fine to me too. Do you personally feel its soft? I think you may have unreal expectations of this lens. This is a very sharp lens, and your copy looks fine to me.

Derrick

All shots were taken in RAW and converted to PNG in ACR 4.5 without any post-processing or sharpening. The photos are all full-frame with a 100% crop inset.

Remember that RAW is always softer than JPEG as it does not get the incamera sharpening treatment - most RAW photos need/benefit from sharpening in editing.
Taking that into account I would say your 70-200mm is a sharp lens.

Remember that RAW is always softer than JPEG as it does not get the incamera sharpening treatment - most RAW photos need/benefit from sharpening in editing.
Taking that into account I would say your 70-200mm is a sharp lens.

really? i wasnt aware of that. im looking into shooting raw i should buy a book.

when you take a JPEG shot the camera applies its own internal sharpening, noise reduction, contrast and white blance to that shot (with a DSLR you get to alter theses settings as to how much or little they are) but they are still added. When you take a RAW shot these settings are not applied to the RAW shot = its raw data.

However all cameras have an inherent level of adjustments to a shot that they do make - ergo why some have better noise control than others - a RAW gets just this basic editing nothing more. Ergo most RAW shots look a little softer than a JPEG shot since the JPEG has already had one round of sharpening in camera

The 70-200 F4 is super sharp I prefer it to a 2.8 any day. Then again I don't need a low light lens very often.

I'm sure the 2.8 at f/2.8 is not as sharp as the 4 at f/4, but which is sharper at f/4?

I'm not being sarcastic or anything, I'm curious. I shoot a lot of low light and shallow depth-of-field stuff, so I usually end up wide open. Also, my cheap lenses' "sweet spots" are pretty much just the price tags. Except my 50mm f/2s, which absolutely destroy my kit zooms at approximately 1/10th of the price. They may be mediocre for primes, but that's still pretty darn good on the whole spectrum.

I think the f4 is still rated as being slightly sharper at f4 than the f2.8. However in all honesty we are really into the pixelpeeping zones between the two and a lot of the time shooting conditions are going to be playing a greater effect.
The entire Canon 70-200 L range are very sharp and good lenses overall - picking is very hard to do, but mostly its done on cost vs usage rather than sharpness - simply do you need IS and f2.8 and can you afford it

What distance were you shooting from? Where are you focusing? Do you need to be shooting at 1/3200th of a second? Why shoot wide open?

Tests 1, 2, and 3 all appear to have one softr eye, but I think it's more to do with shooting at F4 and being close to your subject than about the sharpness of the lens.

Those are extremely sharp for being shot wide open and for being RAW files with no sharpening.

I think on one of the forums some one put up a post with Canon's recommended sharpening adjustments for RAW files from the camera. Plus you could stop that down to f/9 and have some even sharper files.

Your shutter speeds are also fast enough here that the lack of a tripod probably isn't contributing a huge amount to the test.
Hmm, not really because you can still move after the focus has locked.
Anyway, your copy looks fine to me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back