Canon Film SLR.....

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Johno, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Johno

Johno TPF Noob!

Hey ya'll, I'm in the market for a good used Canon film SLR, Needs to work with my EF Lenses. I'm looking to spend under $300 CAD. Any recommendations? I've already got an EOS 650, I was thinking about a 1n. Anybody had any experience with one? Anybody have one for sale??

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    A 1n for less than $300 CDN?...that might be a little tough. One thing to watch out for...is a used pro body that has been used (and abused) by a pro for 10 years.
    Maybe an EOS 3, which is still considered a pro body.

What are you looking for? A used pro body or would a new Rebel do the job? What about one of the EOS ELAN models...they are mid-level, better than the Rebels but not as good as the pro models.

I also have a 650...it's an old tank.

3. Johno

Johno TPF Noob!

Thanks Mike, you're always the first one to my rescue!! I'd rather go with a used pro model, I shoot alot of action sports stuff (DH Mountain Biking, Snowboarding...etc), I'll be hiking and travelling quite a bit with it and I'd like it to be able to take considerable amounts of abuse and the weather resitant sealing on the 1n is a nice touch (It rains alot on Vancouver Island!) I haven't done as much research on the EOS 3, does it have the same capabilities? I should also say that I'm not that firm on my price of $300, I would like to pay less, But If I have to pay more so be it. They seem to be going on Ebay for 250-600 cad. Does the EOS 3 have the same or More/Less advanced Metering than the 1n? Thanks again for your help!!:hail:

4. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    EOS 3
    introduced 1998

All info from EOS Magazine

Hey, if you can get a 1n for $300...sounds like a deal to me. Maybe consider that it may need a CLA (clean, lube & adjust) which will probably be around $100.

5. Johno

Johno TPF Noob!

Thanks again Mike, I really appreciate your help!

6. Johno

Johno TPF Noob!

After reading the article the 3 almost sounds like a better camera for my application anyways (Faster AF speed.... etc)

7. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I haven't look in a while...but the 3 may be harder to find in the used market...because people love them so much. If you can get a good deal on one...go for it.

The 1n is usually easy to find because most pros hand a couple of them and don't need them any more.

8. Johno

Johno TPF Noob!

Well.... Things didn't go exactly as planned. I ended up buying a lightly used Elan 7 w/ power booster for $100 usd. I couldn't pass up a deal !!!. I'll let you know how it turns out!

9. Johno

Johno TPF Noob!

My Elan 7 just arrived this morning. All I have to say is WOW! It's a used camera but anyone without a magnifying glass would be hard pressed to come to that conclusion. There isn't even any scratches on the Hotshoe. It came with all of the original paper work (Warranty cards, Manuals) It had the original bubble wrap and baggie as well on both the grip and the body. The guy I bought it from said that it was his back-up and he rarely used it, I was a bit skeptical but I'm a believer now. Great Deal!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Great buy.

11. boclcown

boclcown TPF Noob!

This may sound like a wierd question, but do you pronounce EOS as E.O.S. (eeeh...ohhh....esss) or like Eos (ee-os).

I've always wondered.... :D

12. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I say it Ee-os, one word.

Just like the ancient Greek goddess of the dawn.