Canon Lenses - Black vs White?

prodigy2k7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I notice that a lot of the high end lenses (telephoto especially?) are white?
Some lenses are high quality such as EF 50mm and 80mm F/1.2 etc. but are not white.

Whats with the white? Anything specific with the white?

The white is supposedly supposed to keep the lens cool in the sun for various reasons. It's usually on the larger lens, the smallest being the 70-200 f4, unless someone can correct me.

Maybe it has something to do with keeping the lens cooler. Certainly sounds feasible.

But probably not. My guess is that it was a way for Canon to kinda separate itself from the rest of the field with their big glass that showed up on the sidelines of the NFL or some other venue that had heavy TV coverage.

Thus, to increase sales.

Or maybe I'm just being too cynical ...

BTW, I shoot both Canon and Nikon, so I'm not being brand biased here.

I'll agree with both of those reasons.

Canon actually had an ad I saw in National Geographic that explains that the white coloring is to keep the lenses physically cooler to prevent damage to certain elements and prevent the lenses from warping in any way. But I think we all know that it's probably more for marketing than anything else.

First off its for keeping the lens cool ,you can argue all you want about it being for attention and all but these lenses are built for performance and the guy waiting in the bush for 6 hours to catch the perfect shot of a tigre,probably doesnt want his lens hitting 140 deg. or more waiting,you know i have seen white Nikon lenses as well ;)

If it was for attention they would have found a way to copywrite it so only they could use white. I do not, however, believe you can copywrite a paint job.

Vince

If it was for attention they would have found a way to copywrite it so only they could use white. I do not, however, believe you can copywrite a paint job.

Vince
If I am thinking rite you can patent an idea though :)

There are two type of "black".

All "black" are the regular lens.

"Black with a red band" is similar to the white ... "L" quality, or "pro" level.

If you can afford "L", go with "L" so there is no question that your equipment not at fault with crappy photo :)

If I recall correctly I think I have seen a nikon white lense before. I would imagine as everyone else has mentioned that it mainly has to do with temperature control and the lense contained in the enclosure not heating up. Again, I could be wrong.

Besides how many 50mm f1.2L's or 85mm f1.2L's do you see on the sidelines of an NFL game?:lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back