Canon printer question

Sharkbait

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitesharkphoto.com
Okay, having a bit of an issue with my canon s9000 printer. I refilled the ink cartridges on it, and now it's giving me a goofy color spectrum. Could the ink from my stratitec refill kit be THAT far off of Canon's??? :? Is there any way to calibrate the printer with the ink refills?

I've heard that you are not ever supposed to use refills for a photo printer. I took that to heart and have never tried.

Hi Shark,
Please don't take this as a snide remark but have you checked that you've got the ink tanks in the right place?
It's not a tough thing to do with six ink tanks especially with a cyan and a photo cyan and a magenta and a photo magenta.
I've a Canon S900 which is similar to yours (except yours has the wide carriage) and I know I've nearly mixed the tanks a couple of times.
If that doesn't work try running the setup procedure from scratch.
HTH.

mrsid99 said:
Hi Shark,
Please don't take this as a snide remark but have you checked that you've got the ink tanks in the right place?
It's not a tough thing to do with six ink tanks especially with a cyan and a photo cyan and a magenta and a photo magenta.
I've a Canon S900 which is similar to yours (except yours has the wide carriage) and I know I've nearly mixed the tanks a couple of times.
If that doesn't work try running the setup procedure from scratch.
HTH.

:lol: That was the first thing I checked!! Luckily, there's a little sticker on the carriage to tell me which tank goes where. The thing seems to devour photo-cyan and photo-magenta, and all my prints are coming out with a greenish-bluish cast to them. :|

In that case my guess is that the inks are slightly different so try running the initial setup again, you know the one where you have to run a print page and select the closest color etc.?

mrsid99 said:
In that case my guess is that the inks are slightly different so try running the initial setup again, you know the one where you have to run a print page and select the closest color etc.?

Hmm I don't think it has a util like that. I'll have to dig around... I know I can manually control the ink concentrations, but there's no way to check it individually...

I just checked the manual and it's the printhead alignment utility I was thinking of.
If that doesn't work then I guess it's new ink cartridges all around.

I've been running every combination of stuff I can find, and it's definitely the printer. I printed a photo on my old lexmark, and it came out pretty close to what I see on the monitor. I printed the photo (to the s9000) from photoshop, adobe album, and windows photo printing, and all come out with the same greenish/bluish tint, so yeah, I guess I'm shuckin out the bucks for new ink. :-? That sucks!

Is it a consistent tint on every photo? If so you might be able to adjust for it in photoshop before printing. NOt an ideal solution, but it may save you some money

That's what I was thinking, as well. The control panel for the printer driver has manual adjustments that allow the c-m-y to be changed. The tint is very pronounced blue-cyan color, so I might try dropping that down some and see what happens.

Here's an example:

Original imagefile from photoshop

IMG_9819_edited_RS.jpg

Scan of the print. Printed on glossy photo paper through photoshop.

colorshift1.jpg

As you can see, it's quite a noticeable shift... ;-) At first I thought I had some color profile set up wrong in photoshop, but this is consistent with anything that goes through the printer. :?

It kinda looks as if the other colors are not printed, only cyan and black is in the picture. Can you check the other colors?

Glad you got it fixed without having to buy the whole set!
For reference, I ordered a set (all 6) of replacement ink cartridges for my S900 today and supposedly they're guaranteed to be direct replacements for the Canon's.
Well we'll see, I'll let you know how they work once I get them, at $22 for all six it's worth the gamble.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back