Canon Rebel XTi 400D or Nikon D80

chriscr0ss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been looking to buy a new camera for a while now, i've came to the dilemma of two. Either the Canon Rebel XTi 400D or the Nikon D80. I have experience with Canons but have not been close to a Nikon ever in my life.

I have a few questions,
Which would you recommend?
What are the pros and cons of the two I stated? (Canon Rebel XTi 400D & Nikon D80)
How long do you think I can depend on the cameras?
Whats a reasonable price for either?

(I'm 14, no job.. been selling a lot of my shoes since I have lost a lot of interest in sneakers to come up with some money)

Thanks,
Chris

Well I love my Canon but as most will say, go out and hold both cameras. You'll probably like the feel of the Nikon a bit more. Canon and Nikon seem to trade off alot in what market they own. It's almost as if:

D40X < 400D < D80 < 30D < D200 < 5D = D2X < 1D Mk III

See the D80 nudges itself just a tad bit above the Canon equivalent, but costs more. A camera body isn't the msot important anyway. What you should really be asking yourself is what SYSTEM you want to buy into. you said you've used some Canon gear. Have a father that shot with Canon gear in the early 90s? Maybe he can pass down lenses to you. Go to a camera store and ask to hold both Cameras with their kit lenses. then ask for some fo the stores nicer glass to be affixed. so you can get an idea of what you'd be starting with, and what you could later upgrade to.

I've been looking to buy a new camera for a while now, i've came to the dilemma of two. Either the Canon Rebel XTi 400D or the Nikon D80. I have experience with Canons but have not been close to a Nikon ever in my life.

I have a few questions,
Which would you recommend?
What are the pros and cons of the two I stated? (Canon Rebel XTi 400D & Nikon D80)
How long do you think I can depend on the cameras?
Whats a reasonable price for either?

(I'm 14, no job.. been selling a lot of my shoes since I have lost a lot of interest in sneakers to come up with some money)

Thanks,
Chris

I prefer the D80 over the 400D without regards to price, simply because I like the D80 having the screen and the LCD with the settings (whats that called??) wheres the 400D uses its LCD to display the shutter speed, aperture, metering ect. Also the D80 has 2 dials so you can change aperture with one and shutter speed with the other. The 400D you have a wheel for one, and you hold a button + turn the wheel to do the other.

Now, whether those two things are worth the price difference is subjective.

How many shoes do you have???

Being 14, unless you have a crapload of shoes I say go for a 350D. Yeah it has the smaller screen among other things, but with the money saved you can buy some better lenses, since thats where the real investment lies.

Mini LCD Display

ok hehe thanks. didn't know if there was a technical name for it but yes, thats what I mean. I just dont like having that large LCD show you the settings, especially because its bright (not fun at night time when your eyes have to adjust over and over from bright LCD to dark area) or when you are low on battery.

Personally, I prefer the D80 cause some of the reasons are that it feels much more solid in my hand and has that "mini screen" on top.

But just like Kyle said.. I'd suggest you to get a 350D(and since you're familiar with Canon, it's a plus) if you're on a tiny budget. Spend most of you're budget on a good lens... because a 350D with good lens can make as good pictures as a 20D with mid range lens.

I've even seen photographers selling their work (taken with a D70) around 200$

Also, if correct me if I'm wrong- but I think a body last for around 18 months, while lenses can't let you down before 3-5 years.

I prefer the D80 over the 400D without regards to price, simply because I like the D80 having the screen and the LCD with the settings (whats that called??) wheres the 400D uses its LCD to display the shutter speed, aperture, metering ect. Also the D80 has 2 dials so you can change aperture with one and shutter speed with the other. The 400D you have a wheel for one, and you hold a button + turn the wheel to do the other.

as far as the screens are concerned, I don't see why you'd need another over what the Canon has. It has the big LCD and then also has all the readings (shutter speed, aperture, and metering) when you look through the eye piece, which is what you're doing 99% of the time anyway, unless using a tripod and not moving anything just getting different exposures of the same shot.

I haven't got to use the Nikon much, but the Canon was very easy to learn how to use considering it is my first DSLR

For the same reason the 400D is canons highest model with only 1 command dial and the rest have 2: convenience. My K10D has a 2.5" screen like the XTi, but I love the mini LCD on top as well because I can change apertures without having the camera up to my face and without using battery up with a big bright LCD, and without it blinding me if its dark out (the mini LCD can be backlit).

Is one LCD screen going to make or break the camera? No but it is something to consider. I certainly wouldn't avoid the camera simply because of that, especially with its price compared to the D80.

Thanks everyone for their input.
How many shoes do you have???

Being 14, unless you have a crapload of shoes I say go for a 350D. Yeah it has the smaller screen among other things, but with the money saved you can buy some better lenses, since thats where the real investment lies.

I had about 50, trimmed down to 10. Sold most for $100-450 each.

I think i'll have to go with the 400D, I won a camera on eBay for $671.50 + shipping. Good deal?

The seller will not deal with you... he said "do not bid if you have a negative feedback", you have one... :)

Yup... he paid almost the same, and those prices are for NEW equipment. Was not a good deal AT ALL :) have fun with it anyways :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back