canon to nikon?

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a D70, but I really like the canon EF 28-135mm IS f3.5-5.6 USM EOS zoom lens. I was wondering if there was a Nikon equivalent lens that's just as good for around the same price, if possible. I don't really know much about lenses, but I was playing with that one in a store and I was really liking it :) Too bad it's Canon.

Well I don't know specifics about the nikon range of lenses as I'm a canon user myself, but I know nikon has a huge selection of great lenses - it shouldn't be hard to find an equivalent. The 28-135 is a pretty good lens but there are certainly better ones out there, and the focal length range isn't amazingly suitable for a crop body like your D70.

The closest Nikon I can think of, considering both lens characteristics on paper and price, is the AF-S DX 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G VR.

I don't have personal experience with either lens though.

It's called the Tamron 24-135...far better optics than the Canon 28-135....but no stabilizer. Just better image quality.

True, the 17-50 is a nice little lens too that's generally more useful on a crop body (though this is ultimately up to you) than the 28-135 range. It comes in a VC version now as well which will be handy.

Although I use Canon camera, personally, but I'd rather get a different lens such as the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens mentioned by fokker. Since the cost of that lens (non-VC) is close to the EF 28-135mm IS lens. And it is optically better.

However, the build quality of the EF 28-135mm IS lens is better and it has IS. Since that is not what I am going after, so I sold my 28-135mm lens and got myself a Tamron instead. Besides, I want a wider lens.

I would agree with Darrel and the others. The Canon 28-135mm is a decent consumer lens but there are better in their line and better lens of similar range made for Nikon. A far better Canon lens in a similar focal length is the EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM.

I will add a thumbs up for the 17-50 from Tamron. It is one of only two Non-Canon lenses I own. The build quality will feel a little light, and the focus motor is louder than the Nikon or Canon USM. It has excellent optics.

I agree.

The 28-135mm is a 'mid-level' or 'consumer grade' lens. Better than the 'kit' lenses but certainly nothing to write home about.

Look for something in the Nikon line-up, or check out Sigma/Tamron etc.

I use Canon lenses because I love them. They are great, competitively priced and offers wide varieties to choose from. Going with Canon mainly due to lenses.

I use Canon bodies because I have to in order to use my lenses. I think (haven't tried one) Nikon bodies are better because they pack appropriate number of megapixels that the sensor can efficiently handle to produce cleaner images.

Most reactions

Back