Canon vs. Nikon

GhostChaser

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm sure this has been discussed a million times here, but I thought I'd bring it up. I work with a fellow who is a Nikon man and thought for sure he'd try to sell me on Nikon, even though I'm partial to Canon (All of my point & shoots have been Canon... I just really like them). But no, he didn't... he said it would be an excellent camera. He even advised me on which one to get.

I would've thought that Canon & Nikon (being the two industry leaders) would have more of a PC vs. Mac kinda rivalry (which I've seen escalate almost into fistfights)... Don't get me wrong, I'm GLAD there isn't that kind of hatred!!! But just out of curiosity, how is it Canon & Nikon people get along so well??

Because neither Canon or Nikon are founders of the "Evil Empire."

Personally, I own and shoot both (Nikon DSLR's, Canon P&S's and video).

we get along so well because they are both great, and both do the same relative thing for the same rough price... whereas mac and pc do different things for different $... different strokes for different folks neh?

there is less difference between Canon and Nikon that between Mac and PC or between Linux and Widows and OS Whatever ;)

There are cases where Nikonians and Canonites do not live in harmony though ... but this is just due to some stupid folks which exist in both communities ;)

I guess one reason why Nikon vs. Canon is not such a huge debate among serious photographers is that what counts in the end is the final image/print, and not the gear used to produce it.

BTW, for scanning I went the Nikon way and for Cameras it is the Canon way.

I shoot Nikon dSLRs and Canon point and shoots.

One big advantage that Nikon has over Canon (for me at least) is the 18-200mm VR lens. It's awesome. I'm partial to Nikon's lens offerings.

It's a charity thing. Some people like Nikon . and it is non fair of real people to mock them because of this. One day they too, will evolve into real human beings. Or as close as they can any way....

There is little to chose. They are both excellent, and it is down to personal choice. I would recommend going into a shop, picking up a selection of both, and seeing how they feel to you. either way you will have the best image recorder available on the planet at that particular moment in time. and the largest selection of "Addons".

And if you choose a Nikon we promise not to laugh at you... (Not to your face anyway) !!!

Ah, see, you're not hanging out in the right places. You want to see brand bashing you need to hit the forums over at DPReview. ;)

Seriously, any major brand DSLR is capable of taking astonishing pictures. It really boils down to ergonomics & feature set/cost. Find one that fits your hand and has the features you want (including lens selection) and be happy.

The only thing I think where Nikon and Canon differ significantly enough to even ask the question is in cheap wireless flashes. A Nikon D70 + SB600 is a much cheaper Camera + 2 flash (one on camera) wireless option than a Canon 400D + 530EX plus 430EX.

No doubt soon canon will see the light (pun intended) and put wireless transmitters in their flash units :)

Oh and if you're really one of those people who spend their life looking at numbers instead of images Canon has a noise advantage to comparable Nikons. Well it did possibly until last monday. But all that really matters is to buy the one that you can comfortably hold in your hand.

Canon and Nikon (and very soon Sony) are highly-competitive brands that make excellent cameras for every level of skill and every pocketbook. I personally shoot Leica. I like to tell people that their Japanese cameras are like Toyota and Honda (and Nissan) but I will always prefer my Porsche.

I do that tongue-in-cheek though, knowing full well that an Acura NSX will easily out-perform a Boxter, and that the pro-cameras from the Japanese brands out-do what Leica has to offer - for now :sexywink:.

Canonites and Nikonians get along with each other because both systems service photographers very well. For the most part, a Canon and Nikon shooter can easily switch equipment for a day and create equally well. A lot of the differences are lost within the confines of personal preferences. Don't forget the other brands too.. Pentax, Sony, etc.. All have something to offer for everyone.

MAC and Windows people are all rejects of each other.... at least that is my observation. Many MAC users (like me) were shown the light after many years of fustration from Microsoft. Many Windows users found Apple's control over MAC hardware (and prices) suffocating. In the end, Apple addicts have grown to "not like" Windows and Microsoft loyalists have grown to "not like" MAC OS.

No serious Canon user can seriously say Nikon Sucks. No serious Nikon user can seriously say Canon Sucks.

Because we are photographers first and our cameras do not define us, our photography does.

If you are a Mac programmer then a PC is a threat to your lively-hood and vice-versa.

You want to see brand bashing you need to hit the forums over at DPReview. ;)

DPReview became a sick place, or always has been (at least the forums there).

But keep in mind that DPReview is not about photography but all about cameras only. So it appears only natural that things are as they are.

Most reactions

Back