Cant decide

R.Robbins

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.picturetrail.com
I was planning on buying a new DSLR too replace my Fujifilm Point and Shoot, which has horrible shutter lag. I am an ecology major and would like something that can survive hikes and handle shots taken in not optimal conditions. I was considering a Rebal xt , but then decided if i was going to make an investment in a camera I would buy a 20 d then the 30d came out so I might as well purchase the 30. After all that, I read about the Sony alpha which uses Minolta lenses. I have a 210 mm and 55mm for my minolta 35mm and some filters. So i could save alot of money on my normal lense size and have more money for CF cards etc. Im not sure about a first time product and if I'm going to even care that the ISO only goes up to 1600. What should I buy? If Im gonna switch companys its better to do it before I build up more camera equipment, but I was really happy with my minolta fim camera. Has anyone used the new Sony Alpha yet? or is it better to stick with a company that is more proven and buy new lenses? I will also be using this camera to shoot a wedding next year if that makes any difference.

If you have the lenses...it would probably be a good idea to stick with that system.

From what I've heard, the Sony Alpha was going to be Minolta's newest DSLR (obviously under a different name). So it's not so much Sony's first DSLR...it's more like Minolta's last DSLR.

I haven't read any reviews so I don't know how it compares to Canon & Nikon, who are clearly the leaders in this field. If you were going to switch, the sooner the better.

I'm very curious in Sony's contribution to the digital SLR market. If I was already invested in Minolta lenses, I'd probably go with the Alpha. From what I've read, there's a lot that camera has to offer. Image stabilization, a larger used lens availability, etc.. If you already have a minolta 35mm body, being able to share lenses between the two is a big plus as well.

I think there are few digital cameras that have an ISO setting over 1600. Even the ones that do...produce noisy images at that level.

I think the standard is ISO 100 to ISO 1600. That should be all you need.

Maybe the image noise is higher than standard (Canon & Nikon).

Everything I have read about the Sony Alpha has been fantastic. I haven't used one personally, but the specs and reviews indicate it will be a very great camera.

Most reactions

Back