Career in photography

equisage

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm going to be a senior in high school, and I'm considering photography has a career path. I've been looking at some art technical schools in the surrounding area, trying to get an idea of what the programs and curricula are like.

I've come across two different degree programs... One is being called "Photography" and the other is being called "Photographic Imaging." I'm wondering if there is anyone here who can explain the difference between these two fields. It appears to me that the Photography program has a lot more courses designed for working with film, but I'm really clueless.

If anyone can help me with this, or offer any other advice on the matter, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks! =]

I think the best way of approaching this is to cover your bases upon what the curriculum of the program is and not the label. Who knows what they're going to be covering based on the program name. Do the research on the itinerary of the classes and this will probably shed more light.

Nowadays it is very competetive that knowing photography and graphic design is a must so I think there are some schools out there who cover both spectrums in single program/degree. Also don't forget the business component - very very very important if you decide to go forward with this without a boss.

Good luck!

Its possible that there is a greater focus on that, but I don't think thats entirely the case. The Art Institute of Washington's website suggests that these careers are attainable with the Photographic Imaging program:
Commercial photographer
Product photographer
Assistant photographic editor
Freelance photographer
Studio assistant
Photojournalist
Photo lab technician

The curriculum for the program seems to offer a fair amount of courses for photography skill development.

List up the courses that comprise both programs and we'll see what it comes down to.

I'm also thinking one is about photography history, concepts, styles, composing, studio, light,... the other focuses on more post production. But hard to tell without a course description

Thanks for the advice. That is what I've been trying to do, its just rather confusing. Both curricula seem to have adequate training for actual photography, but obviously there are two different programs for a reason.

The difference doesn't appear to be in the depth of knowledge, because that difference is clearly the one between the associate's and bachelors degrees of both programs. The Photographic imaging program seems to be more of what I'm interested in, but I don't want to miss any key instruction/ certification that might give me an edge.

Photographic Imaging — Associate in Arts
  • Successful photographic professionals do not rely on talent alone. They must possess
    a thorough understanding of the composition of light as well as a wide array of technical
    skills-from choosing the right equipment to perfecting production techniques while capturing
    visually compelling images. Students must be creative, imaginative, and attentive to detail
    as they prepare to enter the field. While building an awareness of visual style, students also
    develop core values based in professional standards and practices and a skill set with a solid
    technical and design foundation.

In addition to courses in art and design, students in photographic imaging study the history
    of art and the history of photography as they explore the principles of photographic design
    and the significance of visual style in the commercial sector. They study the application of
    professional cameras, lenses, and related processes-small, medium, and large formats-as
    they apply to commercial uses such as photojournalism or advertising photography. Students
    use the professional equipment to develop the techniques required for successful location and
    studio photography, as well as learning to solve problems in both natural and artificial lighting.

Students apply all the tools of contemporary photographic techniques to the digital workflow
    of modern photography. Studios and darkrooms feature program-specific hardware and software.

With my new skills, I can be...
    Commercial photographer
    Product photographer
    Assistant photographic editor
    Freelance photographer
    Studio assistant
    Photojournalist
    Photo lab technician

(entry-level positions)

Associate in Arts
    In the associate program, students develop skills by learning the basics of color, design, various camera techniques and applications, and digital imaging. At the end of the program, they assemble a portfolio of their work in the program.

Graduates in the associate program may choose to continue into the bachelor of fine arts program, or they may seek entry-level positions in the field as studio assistants or as staff photographers with publishing companies, photography studios or labs, and production companies.
  • Total Credit Hours: 96

Photography — Associate of Science
  • "Unifying and teaching the traditional and digital processes of photography to inspire the next generation of image makers, our photography faculty are committed to bringing a strong practical, theoretical, and professional background to each student. We take pride in our students' success, guiding them to acquire the industry-related skills, hands-on experience, and vision to produce competent and thought-provoking imagery needed in the ever changing world of professional photography."

— Anderson B. English, M.F.A., Academic Department Director, Photography

The Mission of the Photography Associate of Science degree program is to prepare graduates for entry-level positions within the diverse world of photography. Emphasis is placed on development of fundamental composition, technical and problem-solving skills needed to produce competent imagery coupled with communication and business skills appropriate to market needs.

To produce a visually compelling image, photographic professionals cannot rely on creative talent alone. They must also have proficient compositional, lighting, camera and technical skills and a thorough understanding of the subject in order to be successful.

Students who complete the 21-month Associate of Science degree in Photography develop skills by learning the basics of color, design, visual expression, various camera techniques and applications, digital imaging and business practices.

Those who choose the Bachelor of Science program in Photography will be challenged to expand upon the varied skills and proficiencies studied in the associate’s degree program through coursework that is greater in depth and rigor. Students will strive to develop a solid photographic identity, purpose and direction.

Graduates of the associate’s degree program are prepared to seek entry-level positions as photographic assistants, photo lab technicians or digital-imaging artists. For the independently driven, freelance work in the portrait, editorial and commercial fields present additional career opportunities. Bachelor’s degree graduates are prepared to seek entry-level positions such as newspaper photojournalist, studio manager, commercial photographer, editorial photographer, and photographic editor with advertising agencies, publishing houses, magazines, and production companies. Many graduates open their own studios or work independently by taking freelance assignments.
  • Total Credit Hours: 104

Thanks for the advice. That is what I've been trying to do, its just rather confusing. Both curricula seem to have adequate training for actual photography, but obviously there are two different programs for a reason.

The difference doesn't appear to be in the depth of knowledge, because that difference is clearly the one between the associate's and bachelors degrees of both programs. The Photographic imaging program seems to be more of what I'm interested in, but I don't want to miss any key instruction/ certification that might give me an edge.

Have you tried talking to the counselor? Maybe if you have any questions on a particular class asking the professor might also be helpful.

If you don't mind me asking, what type of photographer did you want to be later? :D e.g. wedding, studio, photojournalist...etc

Hard to tell the difference between them.

They both seem to touch on similar subjects, although the Photography one seems to go into the science and understanding of the elements... the "why is the rule of thirds so interesting". The Photo Imaging seems to be more application of these principles.

I'm really not sure though, so I totally agree in discussing with a counselor.

And I 100% agree with the suggesting of taking business classes to learn how to run your own business

Hm, thats a good idea. The school with the Photography program is nearby where my brother goes to college, so perhaps I can contact someone about it when we drop him off this month.

I'm not entirely sure yet. Up until recently I wanted to become a Vet.. but the kind of medicine I want to practice is near impossible to get schooling for (accupressure + herbology). So I'm really just now looking more deeply into photography as an option (though I've had an interest in it, as well as other arts, ever since I was young). I think I would enjoy photojournalism, or equine (horse) photography. I'd really rather freelance (so yes, rufus, I'm definitely going to be looking into education in business, thank :)), but if I could get a job working for a magazine I think I would enjoy that. I'm mostly interested in nature and living subjects. For instance, working for national geographic would be a dream job for me.. if I had more guts. lol

I've heard that photography is an extremely competitive field (quite the opposite of the career I was pursuing up until recently). So, I'm wondering how difficult it will be to get a business started.

While not a professional, I think the affordability of DSLRs these days has made it so anyone and their uncle has one. Many people don't bother taking the time to learn how to use it, they just set it in auto and enjoy the greatness of the CMOS sensor.

So there are alot of people out there taking pictures. Alot of businesses pick up a dSLR to shoot their own products, everyone has a friend who has one and asks to shoot their wedding. But these people don't stay in business as they more often than not don't have a quality product.

So if you have a good product, good marketing, good customer service, then you already start to seperate yourself from the masses

I've heard that photography is an extremely competitive field (quite the opposite of the career I was pursuing up until recently). So, I'm wondering how difficult it will be to get a business started.

It is very competitive. Do you currently shoot? I think it's one of those fields that you must really love in order to pursue(Money in photojournalism is not generally abundant). Sounds like you haven't made up your mind in photography so I think you should intern with a professional in the field of your interest before you drop an investment in the education. See if it's really for you because acquiring higher education in photography is too specific to apply to other careers.

The business component is the most important and starting it depends on how much of a business ninja you are. But before I go any further in that regard, you should ask yourself if want to be a photographer who works for someone or a photographer who works for no one but the clients.

Every career worth getting into is competitive. So forget that part. What is much more interesting to consider is whether or not you need a degree to pursue a career in a certain field. The only reason you would need a degree in photography is for the ability to get a teaching job. And only if you don't get a certain recognition as a photographer. I have more than a few friends who teach photography who have no degrees.

I, myself, had no formal training when I started my career. I learned from reading camera and film manuals and, then, just doing it. I made a very good living in photojournalism. camz is right about there being not much money in photojournalism but only if you don't have the drive to go where the money is. I started and finished that part of my career as an independent and the money was very good. True, I was kinda crazy and I got shots nobody else was getting because of that.

If you hire on to your local paper you probably won't go very far but that's only one thing you can do.

When I decided to retire from photojournalism I went to art school thinking it might help with the next move. Took about five classes. Two in design and one in art law (the most useful ones.) The other two were in photography and were the most boring but I had more than 10 years doing photography at that point...

The other thing I did was to hire myself out as an assistant. Worked with three photogs. One of them, his stuff didn't interest me much and he wasn't very good at talking so I wasn't learning anything. I dropped him and worked with the other two for about two years.

Working as an assistant is not school, it is work. You have to figure out when to ask questions and when to just do your job. Most of what I learned came from watching and setting things up as I was told to. But I also learned a lot from talking to them while in transit. You drive or fly to a job, there's plenty of time to chat.

It worked for me because that's the way I learn best: watch and do. Some people learn better (or more) in the classroom. You have to decide which you are. But if you can learn this way, you get paid as you learn. Not a bad deal. Of course, I don't know where you are and it helps to be in a city where there is quite a bit of photography going on.

Not trying to throw a wrench in the machinery here. Just trying to make you aware that there is more than one way to go about it.

Cheers.

I've come across two different degree programs... One is being called "Photography" and the other is being called "Photographic Imaging." I'm wondering if there is anyone here who can explain the difference between these two fields. It appears to me that the Photography program has a lot more courses designed for working with film, but I'm really clueless.

Why not just contact both schools for their curriculum or brochures? No one can tell you what they meant when they named their courses. ;)

Most reactions

Back