Carnival Fun House

Discussion in 'The Black & White Gallery' started by Rick Waldroup, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup No longer a newbie, moving up!

Shot with a Lumix L1 and Leica 14-50mm zoom

[​IMG]

2. Roger

Roger TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    good shot, I love the fact that the image is of a fun house and these characters don't seem amused at all....maybe a touch too much contrast in the bright areas. How do you like the L1? I have thought about getting one.

3. Rick Waldroup

Thanks Roger. Yeah, I shot this in raw and jpg and worked this from the jpg. I probably should have taken the time to PP it from the raw file. I just about blew it out in the highlight areas.

The L1 is a weird camera to shoot, especially if you are coming from a regular dslr. It is not especially fast shooting, but it acts very much like a film camera and it also looks like a rangefinder film camera, even though it is not a true rangefinder. The Leica lens that came with it is superb. I have really enjoyed shooting the camera. I've only had it about 2 months and have not done a lot of shooting with it.

Yes, the guy on top, I'm afraid, did not care too much for me shooting his picture. I had snapped off a couple and lowered the camera and he shot me the bird. Unfortuantely, I did not get that shot. :x

I think I will go back and re-work this from the raw file and see how it looks.

4. Rick Waldroup

I went back and reworked the image and I think it came out a bit better, espcially in the highlight areas.

5. Roger

Roger TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    much better, I can see your reflection clearly now too....I might see if I can get a play with the L1, there's a s/h one in a shop that's been there a while.

6. Rick Waldroup

Yep, Roger, it came out much better. I just had to quit being lazy and go back and rework the raw image. :wink:

I tell you, I love the L1. And I came from a background of using nothing but pro Nikon bodies that last few years- A D2H and a D1x. I am retiring from the photo biz after 30 years and I sold every bit of my Nikon gear and went with this 4/3 system. Finally, after many years, I can enjoy photography as a hobby again and do what I love shooting most which is street and urban photography. I will be adding the Leica 25mm 1.4 lens here sometime next week and after that the Olympus 50-200 2.8 zoom. I will toss in an external flash and that will be it- my entire kit. I can fit it all in a large Kata fanny pack.

Now, the only real complaint I have is the raw software that comes bundled with the camera. It is Silkypix and it is okay, but there are better raw converters out there.

Yes, if you get a chance, play around with one and see what you think. It is not a camera for everyone, but for what I intend to do with it, it is just right for me. Let me know how it works out. Thanks once again for the kind words about the shot.

7. McQueen278

McQueen278 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like this shot a lot. I'm considering getting a L1 and some leica lenses to replace my E1. I really like the 4/3 system myself and it's good to see such nice cameras like the L1 and Digilux have adopted it. I can finally find nicer glass for my E1 thanks to them!