carrying camera around town/city...

It's not the P&S users that look like tourists. It's the people who hold the camera out at arms length and using flash to take a picture of the sunset that looks "touristy" :D.

So what do you call the thousands and thousands in the sports stadium taking pictures of their heroes 150 meters away, with flash, at arms length...
My conclusion: there are frighteningly many stupid people!

Wait for the opening of the Olympic Games. You've never before seen so many stupid people in one place at the same time. It's a deeply embarrassing large scale display of human stupidity.

It is quite sobering to consider that the Olympic Games are supposed to be the greatest display of human capability and simultaneously demonstrate the perfect opposite...

I was just wondering, how do you guys feel about carrying your camera around your neck while walking around a city or town? I was in Lake Geneva today, (WI) and didn't want to look like a tourist, but I wanted to take photos of the buildings and the street, ect ect. How do you guys go about doing this, keep the camera in a back pack, and take it out as wanted, or just leave it out and "to hell what other people think" type of attitude? I'm sorry if this sounds dumb, just want some other opinions. thanks alot
The best way to not look like a tourist is to not be one,Photographers are observant peaple(or should be!) We look at things closely,We look for "the"image rather than the happy memory ,It`s more to do with body language and the way we interact with our surrounds and other peaple

Wow, what a great and simple idea there. The Y-Strap, and only $30. You could do something yourself on this design for mere peanuts.

If I am walking around with my camera, I often put it over my shoulder like what is shown in the video in usait's post. The problem with that is, it isn't easy to bring up when you want to use it as the strap will rub, scrape, and chaff across your neck to bring the camera up. That video gives a great solution to that problem.

Watch the video that usait posted and I quoted above. The way that guy has the strap around his head and shoulder is what lazershot is talking about.

Yup.. that's why I posted it. It is a good simple idea and I made my own with changes that suite me personally. I think I spent a meer $10 bucks for mine: Nylon strap, buckles, and a stainless steel latch. I spent another $10 bucks for a clearance P&S belt case that was modified to be used like a holster with a bit extra storage. I have another strap (lighter weight nylon, stainless steel key ring instead of latch) that is used with my Canon G5 P&S as well.

Honestly, I still don't understand. I'm probably thick. That's what my ex told me for years too. She was right: I should've dumped her 12 years earlier.

Brilliant.

if i am in VA I also hae a 45 Kimber on my right hip too. Now when I am a little lighter or go into DC a folding knife

Are you joking?

Brilliant.

Are you joking?

No, other than DC where it is a hassle I carry every day all the time. I got in the habit on the job then our department went to 24 hour rule but I can choose the gun. Now I do not go anywhere without it except DC as they are a third world nation and have restrictive laws and one of the highest murder rates. Virginia is very safe though you have to pay attention to your surroundings.
I love to get up early and go int he mountains and take photos. There are bears and other critters and even some rabid foxes and racoons around. You are in their territory and the little bells make wonderful decoration but scare the wildlife too. So, I would rather be safe than sorry. I have a bunch of shots of a grizzly but I had a large bore pistol as well as a double rifle with me. The bear was 30 feet away. He looked at me and then walked away. I waited a long time for that shot. I sold it in fact. To each his own. I do not worry about safety I am just prepared for any event. I may not survive it but I will not be a victim either but i hope I get a great shot while I am there too.

I carry all the time here in Az too. I just cant wear it when I hit Kali but, it is still in my vehicle. I carry a .45 as well. The reason I carry is Im in the woods most of the time and, over say 20 years I have only had to shoot a rabid skunk and, one ornery badger who wouldnt back off after a warning shot in front of him. Most animals run away. I dont have it on in the National Parks either, it is illegal to carry there.

one ornery badger who wouldnt back off after a warning shot in front of him. Most animals run away.
You could have too. But you chose to kill it, because it had the temerity to stand up to you. Probably for good reason. Like: you were too close to its den with cubs. But those died too, of course, without their protector and provider.

You could have too. But you chose to kill it, because it had the temerity to stand up to you. Probably for good reason. Like: you were too close to its den with cubs. But those died too, of course, without their protector and provider.
No it was a male. Also I will shoot an animal over my being killed or, maimed. It is just a reality in life.

No it was a male. Also I will shoot an animal over my being killed or, maimed. It is just a reality in life.

You were in danger of being "being killed or, maimed"? By a badger?
Wow, you must have really pissed him off then.

badgers are nothing to mess with. I always hope there arent any here in South East WI. I go hiking at a Bong Recreational Park here, like once a week, and I'd at least hope that the rangers would tell me if they have seen or heard of people seeing a badger or a wild cat or something. No bears here. I would just run like hell if I saw a badger. No use trying to scare it away.

lmao, Alfred, you obviously don't know badgers.

lmao, Alfred, you obviously don't know badgers.
It so happens I do, Atreus. When a badger tells you to take a hike, you take a hike. No need to blast away at it. Simply get out of the danger zone, fast. You're the one that's intruding on his territory! He is defending. With his back against the wall. He's got no choice. You do.
Get out of Dodge and there's no reason for a badger to go on huffin' and puffin'.

Alright I started something with that comment but if you live in the country and around animals you will understand that they do not do what you want all the time. You might be surprised what a rabid animal will do. In the broad daylight they will attack you. Now if you want to run fine but in some cases running is not the best and you can not call 911 as it will be over. I also have had bears come up to the front porch. If they go away fine but if not then their is one less bear. We do not feed them but others do and if you think a bit of window will help you are fooling yourself. I have seen bears take car doors off. I do not go out looking so shoot a critter unless I am hunting. Yes, people hunt out here but I will not run away or allow those I am with to be hurt. In the city the two legged critters will not give youtime to call 911. When the cops arrive it is 95% of the time too late. The on.y real time we get there in time most of the time is a neighbor calling a domestic in. I do not carry in the national parks but there is a new ruling coming out in a while that will make the national parks the same as your state parks with reference to firearms.

As to badgers, they can hurt you pretty badly if you get close enough. They will also usually back off a ways too and if they do not then you need to take care of business.

Its funny that theres so much discussion over such a stupid subject.

Most reactions

Back