Carrying your equipment on trips

Here is a crapy cell phone photo i took of my setup during my last San Diego trip.

D800
Nikon 18-35mm
Nikon 28-70mm 2.8
Nikon 80-400mm (rented/older)
Tamron 150-600mm (rented)
Tripod
remote cable
filters

I'm shifting my thought process now - if somewhere on a photography assignment, or for work (as a photographer) - by all means take everything. But if it's a family trip - be happy just carrying one small camera.
Very personal what to take, depends of your style of shooting and what you like to shoot.
For me vacation is prime photography time, its where I am at my top joy. I need to have my equipment with me so I am forced to carry my heaviest stuff but I do it with love.
I find myself going from a museum where lighting is limited to a walk in the park where light is abundant, only my big heavy lenses can cope with these extremes efficiently.
I wish I could get away with one small P&S but alas I find my current set up is as close to perfect for me and the price is weight and size.

I find myself going from a museum where lighting is limited to a walk in the park where light is abundant, only my big heavy lenses can cope with these extremes efficiently.
?
By all means, take whatever gear you want, but you know they make pocketable cameras that are capable of f/2 and very usable ISO 6400, but also have f/22, 1/3200 shutter speed and a built in 3 stop ND filter. I can go from shooting directly into full, complete sun to a barely lit cafe in about 2 seconds with the X100T and get perfectly exposed photos without having to do much of anything.

There are absolutely reasons to use whatever gear you want, and you don't even need reasons (it's your gear and your back and your family, you know those things best), but handling extremes of available light is really far down the list, IMHO.

?
By all means, take whatever gear you want, but you know they make pocketable cameras that are capable of f/2 and very usable ISO 6400, but also have f/22, 1/3200 shutter speed and a built in 3 stop ND filter. I can go from shooting directly into full, complete sun to a barely lit cafe in about 2 seconds with the X100T and get perfectly exposed photos without having to do much of anything.

There are absolutely reasons to use whatever gear you want, and you don't even need reasons (it's your gear and your back and your family, you know those things best), but handling extremes of available light is really far down the list, IMHO.
Yes I know and I must admit I was really tempted to consider the FZ1000 for such occasions but alas its not good enough in lower light.
I find a big chunk of my trip my 70-200mm 2.8 is used and then the 24-70 2.8 for the wider landscape.
A P&S with such capabilities is only the FZ1000 and it has a 1" sensor which is nice but not very good in lower light situations.

It really depends on the situation for me, but I tend to take as much as I can.
If I'm staying at a friend's house or in a hotel I feel safe enough about--then I'd take both my D7100 and the D5100 backup, along with most of my lenses, ND filter, tripod, etc.
But if I'm going somewhere where I won't be able to pick and choose on a daily basis what to take with me and what to leave behind--then I'd just take the D7100, the birding lens, and one or two other lens (depending on what I plan to shoot), MAYBE the travel tripod and probably the ND filter.
But to be fair, I rarely (that is, NEVER, since I've had a DSLR) go anywhere by plane--that would likely change the equation quite a bit.

I went on a cruise last year; took both camera bodies, the birding lens, the 70-200 f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, macro lens, 28mm f/2.8, and 18-55 kit lens, along with the travel tripod, ND filter and a flash. Never used the flash or the backup body, but otherwise used all the lenses at some point and was glad I took them. Choosing what to actually take with me off the ship each day was a challenge, though! Didn't take the birding lens into Nassau because:
1. We were mostly shopping
2. It's Nassau. :D
But I kinda wished I had, because there were some cool birds in a park there.

I am going on a cruise in a few weeks and trying to decide what all to take for each port. I don't want to carry all of my gear in all of the ports, but I want to have options.

Considering just taking my old D40, 35mm and my 55-200mm lenses. I always worry about my gear, especially when I'm in the ocean and my gear is up under my umbrella. I always keep my eye on it though!

Never had a problem, and last year I entrusted my camera with our tour guide in Jamaica. Man, was I nervous! But thankfully, he was safe with it and got some great photos of me jumping off waterfalls.

I'm going to Jamaica in 4 weeks. I'm bringing the 24-70 and 70-200. I have one small bag they all fit in and that fits in my carryon backpack. I may or may not also bring the SB-700.

I'm going to Jamaica in 4 weeks. I'm bringing the 24-70 and 70-200. I have one small bag they all fit in and that fits in my carryon backpack. I may or may not also bring the SB-700.
how would you NOT bring a flash?

exactly. The flash will only be beneficial in certain situations.

exactly. The flash will only be beneficial in certain situations.
Thats what I mean when I say flexibility, take an excellent camera, add to it excellent fast lens and you get an rather heavy and large system but boy is it powerful!
While a p&s or even a small mirrorless camera with 1 or 2 prime lenses might be very easy to carry and work well for some getting such a powerful system of camera and lenses really let you get the maximum of your trip photography wise.
Braineak it looks like we share same philosophy when it comes to what to take to a trip.

Hope you have awesome time in Jamaica :)

I'm shifting my thought process now - if somewhere on a photography assignment, or for work (as a photographer) - by all means take everything. But if it's a family trip - be happy just carrying one small camera.
Very personal what to take, depends of your style of shooting and what you like to shoot.
For me vacation is prime photography time, its where I am at my top joy. I need to have my equipment with me so I am forced to carry my heaviest stuff but I do it with love.
I wish I could get away with one small P&S but alas I find my current set up is as close to perfect for me and the price is weight and size.

Just looked at you Flickr and you could get away with just taking your D750 and 24-70

If your on holiday and you need to use flash the photo is not worth taking

Just looked at you Flickr and you could get away with just taking your D750 and 24-70
Wow, getting critique from you.
Ahhaammm I think I can do without your nugget of feedback.

If your on holiday and you need to use flash the photo is not worth taking
Maybe, this is a vacation we are discussing i suppose. There is always the chance of that one shot though, you know the one, you might regret not getting..

Most reactions

Back