Ceiling bounce with a non-swivel flash?

acrabb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought my starter SLR, Rebel T1i two-lens kit and a Speedlite 270ex. I didn't put enough thought into the choice of flash which is tilt-only and now realize of course I can't get ceiling bounce when holding the camera vertically. Looking for a solution.

I'm expecting to expand my equipment so if the answer is "get a better flash with tilt/swivel and use this one as a backup" that's OK. Just wondering if there is an adapter (which may also be useful when I upgrade) to allow the flash to be pointed up when the camera is portrait oriented.

Thanks!
Andy

You may be able to get a bracket that can change the orientation of the flash. If it is a hotshoe only flash, you may need to get the pc adapter as well.

Get a flash cord and hold in in your other hand, or ebay the flash and get an upgrade. If you have just bought it the shop may even give you a refund.

I mount my SB-400 on a monopod and use a cable... will do until I can afford an SB-900.

bracket, minisoftbox, foam paper to shoot through (though you'll need to really boost the power on the flash unit and account for white balance).

get some foam core.
score it.
bend it.
velcro it in a such a way as to bounce the flash.

Get a 430EX. A 270 is barely more powerful than the flash in your camera.

Most reactions

Back