Certification

Morpheuss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok heres the thing. I am in the military so I have the Montgomery G.I. Bill and I heard from somebody I can use like a thousand or 2 thousand dollars of the old G.I. Bill and then switch to the new G.I. Bill and still have the full amount. Weather this is true or not I will find out from somebody at the education center anyway...

I am wondering if there is any certification you guys would recomend. I remember seing one on betterphoto.com that looks like if you buy the certification package then you they will give you these classes to get this certification and I want to get as much money for an education as I can out of the government and since I figured I love photography and the certification thing seems decent I figured it would be a good way to get something saying I'm educated in photography with uncle sam paying for it and my bigest question is would you guys go for it if you had the change. Meaning is do you think betterphoto would be a good reputable thing to have or would somebody laugh at me for spending uncle sams money for it...

All your help is appreciated

I think you would be better served learning photography on your own, and letting Uncle Sam help pay so you can learn about business and marketing.

After all, it seems the point of getting certified would be to persue a career in photography, right?

Further, in the photographic profession, certification from entities like the Professional Photographers Association (PPA) carry more weight. Check out more certification options.

Having just looked over their certification procedure, I would not spend the money.

Last edited:
^^^ What he said! At most minor in photography and major in something that pays the bills.

With few exceptions the only people making decent money in photography are the commercial photogs.

Remember- Artists starve to weed out the critics.

ie If you have to then go ahead but it's much harder than you would first imagine. ;)

awesome thanks for the tips guys. I like photography as more of an art hobby and not a professional. I'll just grow with these forums and get a youtube and tpf degree. I might see about minoring in photography or something like that.

Ok heres the thing. I am in the military so I have the Montgomery G.I. Bill and I heard from somebody I can use like a thousand or 2 thousand dollars of the old G.I. Bill and then switch to the new G.I. Bill and still have the full amount. Weather this is true or not I will find out from somebody at the education center anyway...

I am wondering if there is any certification you guys would recomend. I remember seing one on betterphoto.com that looks like if you buy the certification package then you they will give you these classes to get this certification and I want to get as much money for an education as I can out of the government and since I figured I love photography and the certification thing seems decent I figured it would be a good way to get something saying I'm educated in photography with uncle sam paying for it and my bigest question is would you guys go for it if you had the change. Meaning is do you think betterphoto would be a good reputable thing to have or would somebody laugh at me for spending uncle sams money for it...

All your help is appreciated

I am prior Navy.

I thought that you had to elect which one you wanted, and that choice was final. I might be wrong on this. Be sure to check before you choose.

You should just use the new G.I. bill to get a visual arts degree, that way you can get the housing allowance. If you are interested in all aspects of it that is. You would have to take web design and other stuff I believe.

I am about to enroll in college again to finish my degree, probably as an English major. $1900 more a month is too good to pass up on! :mrgreen:

well its funny... i heard if you spend some on the old montgomery gi bill and you switch over you still get the full amount of the new gi bill since i put in however much I had to for the montgomery gi bill. I'll have to talk to my education office to get some help.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back