Changing zoom lens

jonathanbruce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello.:)
I'm new here, and would like some advice here please.

Is it worth me trading in both lenses i have (18-55 and sigma 70-300) or one lens and going for a 18-300 or similar ?
Is the Sigma lens any good? I did get a filter for each lens I have.

I did have a Nikon D3200 for a while but found it lacking so hence the trade up to the D7100. I DO like it the improvement already.
Most of my photos are landscapes, wildlife, fast sports (such as motor-racing) and some family snaps.

Will this camera do me for a few years?

Would gracefully appreciate any feedback from all you peoples here.

Jonathan

The camera will potentially last you for many years. The D7100 is a VERY capable body. I would NOT trade anything (except maybe an old hockey puck or a used dry-erase marker) for an 18-300 lens. These are the Swiss Army Knife of the optics world, and like any tool that has a lot of functions, it doesn't do any of them well. Distortion at both ends will be pronounced softness is common unless you're stopped down and given that these lenses are already f5.6 at the long end, you're not going to be shooting in anything but the brightest light. I would stick with what you've got.

The camera will potentially last you for many years. The D7100 is a VERY capable body. I would NOT trade anything (except maybe an old hockey puck or a used dry-erase marker) for an 18-300 lens. These are the Swiss Army Knife of the optics world, and like any tool that has a lot of functions, it doesn't do any of them well. Distortion at both ends will be pronounced softness is common unless you're stopped down and given that these lenses are already f5.6 at the long end, you're not going to be shooting in anything but the brightest light. I would stick with what you've got.

Hello.
Thanks for the quick reply.
I have been using this camera a lot since I bought it. I managed to get it for under £725 back in July before I sold the D3200. I sold that for £300 to mbphotographic.co.uk, keeping the 18-55mm lens back for my self!:wink:
Yes, I tend to use it in P or S mode. I'm still getting used to learning the Aperture modes. I'm quite impressed with the flash on it, since I found out I can make it brighter.
The only concern I have about the Sigma lens is that it doesn't have the VR and some of my shots would need that.

The issue is that all lenses are not created equal. In order to make a lens with a very large zoom range (18-300 for example), they have to make compromises in the design. Keep in mind that they also want to keep it small, light and inexpensive. The result is that the image quality is much lower than what you would get from a 'regular' zoom lens like you have.

To take it a step further, the two lenses you have now, are also compromised to be small, light an inexpensive. You could get something like the 18-50mm F2.8 and 70-200mm F2.8 which would give you much better image quality. Of course, they are a lot larger, heavier and much, much more expensive.

Another thing to think about is prime (non zoom) lenses. Because they don't have to incorporate a zoom in the design, they are typically more optimized for better image quality.

So on one end of the scale, you have super zoom lenses that are convenient but give you low image quality. And on the other end, you have lenses that don't zoom but give you much better image quality. So what is your priority?

The issue is that all lenses are not created equal. In order to make a lens with a very large zoom range (18-300 for example), they have to make compromises in the design. Keep in mind that they also want to keep it small, light and inexpensive. The result is that the image quality is much lower than what you would get from a 'regular' zoom lens like you have.

To take it a step further, the two lenses you have now, are also compromised to be small, light an inexpensive. You could get something like the 18-50mm F2.8 and 70-200mm F2.8 which would give you much better image quality. Of course, they are a lot larger, heavier and much, much more expensive.

Another thing to think about is prime (non zoom) lenses. Because they don't have to incorporate a zoom in the design, they are typically more optimized for better image quality.

So on one end of the scale, you have super zoom lenses that are convenient but give you low image quality. And on the other end, you have lenses that don't zoom but give you much better image quality. So what is your priority?

Thank you very much for your advice. I might consider selling my CoolPix P510 since I am concentrating now on using my D7100. I originally bought that for the super zoom but the D7100 blows it away anyway. I will re-consider my options now. I am most likely to use a zoom from 55 upwards really, being honest than using a prime for the moment. I might have a look at the 70-200 you suggested, or maybe a 300 version if they went that high. Is the VR just a gimmick or do I need to hold the camera differently? Being new to using dslrs I get a little nervous taking shots sometimes. Being honest at least I'm the correct side of the lens now. :blushing:

I replied to the same question you posted on another thread

Hello.
I currently have the standard 18-55mm AF-S 3.5-5.6 VR on my D7100 and also use a Sigma APO DG 70-300mm 4-5.6. Sometimes I wish maybe I should also have the Nikon version with VR , what d'you think I should do?

Well the D7100 is a very sharp camera that in many cases is limited by the lenses it has.
There are few lenses you can get to really get al the potential of the camera.
I assume you are short on cash so I would sell both the lenses you have and get the Nikon 18-105mm VR and the Nikon 70-300mm VR
I would also recommend you getting the Nikon 50mm 1.8G for portrait, night photography and just for sharp everyday photography.
If you are willing to go used then all these 3 lenses should be yours at roughly around 600$ or around 450$ without the 50mm lens.
If you can spend more then a very good sharp lens instead the 18-105mm VR is the 16-85mm VR, this is considered one of the best lens in its focul range but its more expensive then the 18-105mm VR.

Oh and I would stay clear from the 18-300mm its very flexible to use but your are loosing picture quality

Is the VR just a gimmick or do I need to hold the camera differently? Being new to using dslrs I get a little nervous taking shots sometimes. Being honest at least I'm the correct side of the lens now.
VR is no gimmick, it can absolutely help you to get better, sharper photos. But it's not magic...it works to help freeze the movement of the camera/lens, but it does nothing to help freeze the movement of a subject.

So if you are shooting still objects, especially in lower light levels, where you might need slower shutter speeds, then the VR can be very helpful. More that that, the 70-200mm F2.8 VR is an all around professional quality lens. Of course, it's very expensive but it may also last you a lifetime.

I replied to the same question you posted on another thread

Hello.
I currently have the standard 18-55mm AF-S 3.5-5.6 VR on my D7100 and also use a Sigma APO DG 70-300mm 4-5.6. Sometimes I wish maybe I should also have the Nikon version with VR , what d'you think I should do?

[h=1][/h]Well the D7100 is a very sharp camera that in many cases is limited by the lenses it has.
There are few lenses you can get to really get al the potential of the camera.
I assume you are short on cash so I would sell both the lenses you have and get the Nikon 18-105mm VR and the Nikon 70-300mm VR
I would also recommend you getting the Nikon 50mm 1.8G for portrait, night photography and just for sharp everyday photography.
If you are willing to go used then all these 3 lenses should be yours at roughly around 600$ or around 450$ without the 50mm lens.
If you can spend more then a very good sharp lens instead the 18-105mm VR is the 16-85mm VR, this is considered one of the best lens in its focul range but its more expensive then the 18-105mm VR.

Oh and I would stay clear from the 18-300mm its very flexible to use but your are loosing picture quality
[h=1][/h]
I have found this lens for a reasonable price within my budget, of no more than £250. Nikon AF-S 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6g ED VR (£160), Is this one any good? I would happily trade-in the Sigma for this if you think it is better.
I would also like your advice in to whether i should keep my Coolpix P510 or not. I could use that to get another good lens.
Is it worth having good lenses for the D7100 rather than two cameras? Something tells me Yes, but am open minded to hear what you all say on this.

Thanks for that. A friend of mine who is a photography is letting me try out loads of lenses over this week, which is great, and showing me the technique of steady shots. He has a D3s, D3x and D4 but is impressed with my D7100. Would a FX lens work on mine? He mainly uses 28-300 and has recently got a 24-70 lens. What would 28-300 be like on my D7100, the range is different? 42-450 ?

First take off your filters.. They do protect the front element, but so does the lens hood. They degrade image quality.

Next slow down a little and learn to shoot with what you have. I would wager that your knowledge is limiting your progress more than your gear...

The sigma is ok, not great. If you want a better lens in that range, I suggest the Nikon 70-300 VR or the Tamron 70-300 VC. The 55-300 is a pretty good lens, but the AF speed is on the slower side...

Ok. After a lot of trying out different lenses. I am now happy with my new setup of lenses. See my signature! I have kept the old 18-55 nikon f3.5-5.6g VR lens but have now sold my Coolpix P510 and the Sigma Lens to make way for new equipment.
I am very happy with the clarity of the new lenses now.

I have managed to get my hands on a really good zoom lens now. I picked it up for a real bargain as well. I know that some zoom lenses aren't that good, but this one is just what I needed! It is very sharp and clear. Looking forward to using it lots!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back