Cheap camera body reccomendations

Riggaberto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Canon Rebel film, and also a 70-200mm zoom lens (that I borrow, not actually mine :() I want to get into macro though and I understand that it may be cheaper to get a used camera body and several lenses for that rather than purchase a macro for my rebel. I dont mind it being all manual since it's primarily for macro anyway, so:
-What's a good camera body for that, reasonable quality also affordable (used)?

-I'm still having trouble understanding what exactly is different about macro lenses. I understand that they let you get closer and make the image larger, but what about the lens is different that causes that effect?

-What's a reasonably inexpensive light meter I can find used?

Thanks for the help, I'm really enjoying photography, and it's hard because all I have to go on are books so I appreciate anyone's imput.

I just bought a Rebel XT (350D) from bhphotovideo.com for around $500 I think. That was with a kit lens you can get the body even cheaper.

I would probably purchase a Macro lens for your rebel, as you can pick up fixed macro lenses fairly cheap second hand, or as you say maybe a canon fd mount camera as they are real cheap at the moment, as for light meter if your light source is constant ( no flash ) then Ebay Buddy, real cheap ones ( analogue ) ( dial type ) will be fine

Happy Macro

Steve

I agree that getting a second hand macro lens will be the "best cheapest" option. Canon FD lenses are pretty cheap at ebay and keh.com, simply because they are incompatible with newer EOS bodies.

I have seen FD50 and FD100 macro lenses for less than $50 at ebay. Add another $10 for the FD->EOS adapter, remove (unscrew) the lens correcting element of the adapter and you have a pretty nice manual macro lens for your EOS body.

I agree that getting a second hand macro lens will be the "best cheapest" option. Canon FD lenses are pretty cheap at ebay and keh.com, simply because they are incompatible with newer EOS bodies.

I have seen FD50 and FD100 macro lenses for less than $50 at ebay. Add another $10 for the FD->EOS adapter, remove (unscrew) the lens correcting element of the adapter and you have a pretty nice manual macro lens for your EOS body.
There's no quality reduction if you use an adapter?

Also, if you have an adapter for using a 58mm filter with a 67mm filter does it have any effect? Less light possibly?

Most reactions

Back