Cheap camera with good focus

Borad

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Based on reviews I've read, half-click focus functionality doesn't seem to guarantee good focus. Good focus is mainly what I want. What camera should I look for on Ebay that would let me manually adjust the focus well for as low a price as possible? I don't have a big need for a camera but my cellphone drives me crazy sometimes by not being able to focus on what I want in focus.

Any SLR or any rangefinder.l

Is there a digital point and shoot camera that uses a different method than the half-click for letting the user choose the focus? Like a wheel or lever or something that doesn't require you to do the focusing equivalent of jumping on a moving train?

...I just saw a video on focusing for "Advanced Point and Shoot cameras." The camera was the Nikon P500. That's the kind of manual focusing I want. You can hold the up button to focus one way and the down botton to focus the other way then you take the photo whenever you're ready. I'm looking for a cheap camera that has focus control like that.

Last edited:
Perhaps get one of those type of cameras? I have the P600. It does just what you want. Easy to use, good pictures. I eventually got a DSLR but still like the P600.

Look on ebay for deals on it or the older versions of similar' long lens' cameras.

Is there a digital point and shoot camera that uses a different method than the half-click for letting the user choose the focus? Like a wheel or lever or something that doesn't require you to do the focusing equivalent of jumping on a moving train?

...I just saw a video on focusing for "Advanced Point and Shoot cameras." The camera was the Nikon P500. That's the kind of manual focusing I want. You can hold the up button to focus one way and the down botton to focus the other way then you take the photo whenever you're ready. I'm looking for a cheap camera that has focus control like that.
I hate having to let you know that achieving good focus is quite a bit more involved than pushing an up or down button.

Understanding Depth of Field in Photography
Understanding Camera Lenses
Tutorials – Sharpness
Diffraction Limited Photography: Pixel Size, Aperture and Airy Disks
Anti-aliasing filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I hate having to let you know that achieving good focus is quite a bit more involved than pushing an up or down button.

Understanding Depth of Field in Photography
Understanding Camera Lenses
Tutorials – Sharpness
Diffraction Limited Photography: Pixel Size, Aperture and Airy Disks
Anti-aliasing filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You have to turn a ring on some cameras.

Perhaps get one of those type of cameras?

Yes, that exact model looks good. It can zoom when shooting a video and it has raw format which were two other things I like. It's not pocket friendly but you can't have everything.

I know. I already have that covered with my monopod.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back