snerd

Anti-Dentite
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
internetwhispers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Okay, I'm confused as to the meaning of these terms. I think chimping is looking at an image you just snapped? And pixel-peeping has something to do with looking at an image at full size or a 100% crop? You have to understand, "chimping" means something entirely different to my buddies and me!

Chomping is constantly looking at the LCD on your camera. Pixel Peeping is looking at an image at like 100% + to try and judge it's quality often at like 200-300%

Get yourself the new limited edition Leica it has no screen for you to chimp and will make your pocket £12,000 lighter

Chimping = nothing you should be worried about. Term people use to bring others down more or less.

Pixel peeping = the act of going into the scrutinous details about every tiny little pixel or feature of a camera whilst missing the point of shooting.

Chimping - the act of bobbing your head up and down as you check each and every shot on the LCD after you take it. Generally seen as a negative element due to the fact that you're missing time shooting by checking (of course depends what you are shooting). Oft also considered a lesser skill (those with skill assumed to trust their skill and not need to check).

Pixel Peeping - the obsessive assessment of pixels in the shot - often at 100% view or higher magnifications. It's basically obsessing over tiny details that, in print or web display, won't have any meaningful or visible impact on image quality.

as a foot note, I'd like to add that chimping is the right, nay the duty of the photographer of the digital era. Sorry about your film days an all, mine are gone too (though I still do shoot film sometimes), but now we can see the picture when we get done taking it, what with these new fangled digital cameras and their wonderful features. Bagging on chimping seems kind of arrogant to me, like, see how great I am? I don't even need to look, because I'm better than everyone, meanwhile, in chimp town, I have proof, now, that my image was successful when I glance at my screen. Also, what if the lighting changed, or a setting was off, or you moved the mode dial, or adjustment knob, and didn't chimp that shot, you might miss an important shot, because you didn't want to look silly to other photographers. I mean, why waste the technology at our fingertips? The screen shows the preview for a reason, people like it, the only people that don't seem to be seasoned photographers, who can then if they wish, turn off image preview if they feel it's simply too much of an annoyance to see what they just took a photo of. phhh. forget that noise, chimp away.

Last edited:
removing the display screen on a digital camera offends me as a UI designer.

Checking your shots is fine

Checking the pixels is fine

Chimping and Pixel peeping are extreme forms where the action has left the benefit behind and is giving the photographer little to no gain. In the case of chimping checking too many times could be costing them shots (generally in action focused situations) whilst Pixel peeping can lead to people being overly demanding upon their camera to the point where they expect the impossible.

Most reactions

Back