Chimping & Pixel-Peeping

But film shooters used to use Polaroids like crazy to check exposures - and take bracketed shots (where possible).

I am really struggling to find a reason why I would care if another photographer was chimping or pixel peeping.

I am really struggling to find a reason why I would care if another photographer was chimping or pixel peeping.

How else would they want to ask about it on an innernets forum? If they didn't care, they wouldn't be asking here.

How else would they want to ask about it on an innernets forum? If they didn't care, they wouldn't be asking here.

Maybe it's about staking a personal claim on bandwidth.

removing the display screen on a digital camera offends me as a UI designer.

It's not a problem for film shooters, thats what its aimed at because when they take a shot they know the exposure will be ok
Designing to legacy offends me as a ui designer.

What about primates that chimp and pixel-peep their own selfies? :cool-98:

Instant feedback. Blasphemy.

There are as many ways to shoot as there are camera owners. More. I shoot several different ways.

Claiming your one way is best is just silliness and reveals you as a fool.

Maybe it's about staking a personal claim on bandwidth.
Nah, if that was what was wanted, there is the Leaderboard thread where that can be done. :76:

I've heard these terms a lot on this and other photography forums. I think I kind of new the meanings, just wanted to make sure, so I asked. I see photogs on TV at sports events, and the vast majority are chimping away! I always laugh, because the consensus on most forums is that it's a bad thing. At least, that's the impression I got when joining the forums as a newbie.

When an internet forum achieves consensus on a thing, the resulting consensus opinion is likely to be so watered down and simplified as to be somewhere between slightly useful as a starting point and utterly useless and wrong.

When an internet forum achieves consensus on a thing, the resulting consensus opinion is likely to be so watered down and simplified as to be somewhere between slightly useful as a starting point and utterly useless and wrong.
But to a noob, that's all he has. I realize "now" it's not a big deal. But hell, my first few months shooting, I would look around to make sure no one saw me chimping!! :biggrin-new:

I've read of several photographers who didn't "chimp" and shot hundred's of photo's based on the fact they thought their camera was set up correctly, and found out afterward that every shot was either extremely over or under exposed, out of focus, etc. requiring many hours editing to attempt to recover the file or realize it is a complete loss and toss it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back