Choosing Focal Points

lm100489

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, I'm new to the photography world. I've had my camera since April and have pretty much got it figured out (Nikon D3100) but I can't figure out how to choose my focal point. I tried to follow what it said in the manual but it doesn't give enough information. Can anyone help me?

I would assume you have a little directional pad on back of camera....use the arrows. Thats how I change mine and we have similar camera.

But, I don't know if you can change them while using auto mode- never tried!

Also, I think the full manual for your camera came on a cd. It's around 300 pages - so if the paper manual you have isn't that big then its on a cd

The focal point is the point in the lens where the light 'comes together' before spreading out again to hit the sensor/film.
image001.jpg

Are you talking about manually selection your Auto Focus point?

Thank you MTVision!!!! I swear I've tried that before, but this time it actually worked!!!! And @Big Mike: yes that is what I mean :p sorry I'm not hip to all the lingo yet haha.

As mentioned, you probably can't change that (or change many other things) if you have the camera in full auto (green box) mode.

If you must use a fully auto mode, stick to P.

I think you mean Focus point. If so you need to get the camera out of auto mode, I am not exactly sure what it is on a 3100 body but there should be a menu items for focus modes "AF Area mode" Get out of Matrix 3D or Auto and put it in Single point or dynamic focus then you can use your jog dial to select the focus point.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back