Christmas

dmatsui

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
dmatsui.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well its Christmas coming up so that means that i can ask for new photography equipment, the only problem is what should i get first.

The equipment i have now is

Nikon D80
105mm 2.8
18-55mm (kit lens)
55-200mm 4-5.6 (non vr)
1 Tripod
1 4GB SD card
1 Battery

As for what budget my parents are willing to spend i'm not sure, but be sure that i'm not going to get a $500+ lens. So if you do suggest lenses then something cheap but good quality.

What i've been thinking about asking for is either the SB-600 speedlight (if i decide to go for a speed light i'll ask for the SB-800 but that might be to expensive so i'll offer the SB-600 as a cheaper alternative)

Otherwise the 50mm 1.8

Currently i've been burning all my pictures on to dvds would it be recommendable to get say a 500gb external hard disk as a back up for the dvds?

You dont have to stick to what i've mentioned, as long as you keep in mind a new camera is out of the question aswell as lenses that are more than $400-500

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Well where do you feel your lackings?
Personally I would say that the flash would be the best thing (and with some funds from christmas monies that sometimes appear you could get yourself a diffuser for the flash). The flash will let you work in lower light with your current lenses - also is the 105mm f2.8 a macro lens?

Aside from that backup space could be very important (depending on how much you shoot)

yea the 105mm f2.8 is a macro lens
well i feel that i can use allot more understanding when it comes to the lighting aspect of photography. I've almost always used the available lighting. Which is why i'm leaning towards the external flash.

flash + lumiquest softbox :)

great combo for working with a macro lens - really opens up what you can achive :) (best examples is to look up Doenoe on here and have a look at his macro work)

I would probably say the flash or the 1.8. Both, in my opinion, simply open up so many new aspects of photography. But if you don't have an external flash, then that would probably be my recommendation.

I used to always offer to pay half for $500+ gifts.. so that could be an option if you're willing to pay for it.

My family understands how difficult it is to find gifts for me, so they learned real quick that gift certificates at B&H always puts a smile on my face.

Other suggestions that might interest you:
1) Software? (aperture, lightroom, noise ninja, other plugins, HDR, etc.)
2) As suggested flash (w/off shoe cord and flash bracket))
3) A strobist kit (see MPEX.com and www.strobist.com)
4) I like some else's suggestion of the 50mm f/1.8
5) Image tank (portable storage+card reader w/o computer)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back