church horse

JohnMF

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
what do people think of this photo?

Did i over do it with the grain?

Does that horse shat in the bottom left spoil the atmos abit?

churchhorse.jpg

thanks for looking

i think the picture is ok - the dirt? chunks in the left bottom corner kinda bug me a little - the frame seems too heavy to me - but what do i know?

I like the grain and the atmosphere created by the lack of strong contrast. For me, yes, the horse's deposits detract and distract significantly from an idyllic pastoral scene, so I'd get the clone tool out on this, or better still, go back and ask the horse to re-pose for you. A pity, as it is a very nice scene.

i dont like all the grain unless you're going after the "old photo" look. if so, you've done well. the composition is perfect IMO. do you like the image?

i was trying to get an "old" feel to the picture. I agree about the frame, it is a bit too heavy, i didnt think of that until LRJ mentioned it.

I think as a photograph its 50% close to what i was hoping to achieve. I'll just have to keep plugging away :)

JohnMF said:
i was trying to get an "old" feel to the picture. I agree about the frame, it is a bit too heavy, i didnt think of that until LRJ mentioned it.

I think as a photograph its 50% close to what i was hoping to achieve. I'll just have to keep plugging away :)

do ya wanna keep plugging away or would you like a few actions to work with in PS?

JonMikal said:
do ya wanna keep plugging away or would you like a few actions to work with in PS?

If I can butt in here - I'd love some actions! I've been unhappy with B&W conversion attempts in PS since I got my D70. I found a method you suggested on another thread Jon, but the Hue adjustment you recommended doesn't seem to make any difference to the straight desaturation in the 2nd adjustment laer. I'm probably doing something wrong. And consistent grain/'old photo' looks are currently beyond me.

JohnMF - hope you weren't going to say you want to keep plugging away!!

Thanks!

lol, when you add grain in PS it tends to loose its contrast.

I've worked in PS for about 10 years with my job but it's always been for graphic design needs. Its only the last month or so that i've been using it to enhance my photos. There's a whole load of functions there that ive never needed to use, that now seem some of the most important ones, where photography is concerned anyway.

A few PS actions would would be a great help JonMikal, ta.

JohnMF said:
A few PS actions would would be a great help JonMikal, ta.

i'll hook you up tomorrow! you have email in your profile?

I think i do.

i will PM it to you anyway

Thanks JM

Most reactions

Back