cleaning lens and camera after sandy day

meesh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi! Hope this is in the right place. Wellll I've taken my camera to the beach and changed the lens there a few times. Even though I tried to be really care, I know sand seems to get EVERYWHERE!:er: sooo- any tips on how I can clean it? From the lens to the camera. --AlSO- I dropped my polarizer filter in the sand... how should I clean this? I dont want to just wipe it down and then scratch it... okay thanks for the tips!

Hey! Wow that really stinks! I had a smudge on my lens (possibly from sea spray, but more likely from a finger) and so I found this great article on wiki how about cleaning a camera body and lens. I checked it with a seasoned photographer friend, and he said he thought it was accurate. Just make sure you put ceaning solution on all q-tips or cloths (not drying) that touch any glass.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

oOoh thanks for the quick reply--- I really want to start cleaning right now! ahha.. ill check out the article!

put your polarizer in water and shake it around to losen the sand off. you dont want to drag that sand, as you already know.

i'm very careful around beaches, the salt in the water and in the sand can really corrode the inside of that camera of yours!

Do a search on the Copperhill method. Eclipse fluid and pecpads work great.

sand seems to get EVERYWHERE!:er: sooo- any tips on how I can clean it?

Hope it didn't get into the lens, like the focusing or zoom rings. I had an old Tokina for my film SLR get riddled with sand and it made more sense to replace it rather than clean it out (it wasn't an expensive lens, tho, so maybe it's different for you). Good luck!

I was just reading a photography book and the writer suggested that he takes clear plastic bags with him everywhere, so if he's at the beach or thinks it might rain or it's really windy he puts the camera in the bag, pokes a hole for the lens to stick out, and shoots that way. He seemed to think it's ALMOST as easy to operate the camera thru the plastic and it might save you a huge repair headache/bill. Seems like decent advice, as long as the person doesn't get confused and use a paper bag. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back