Client demanding RAW files. Now what?

I took a client last month who signed my standard photography agreement, ...

I had a client like this last week. They read and signed the contract, which clearly stated that they will receive one print included in the sitting fee but may purchase additional prints.

A few days after the shoot, I received a call from the husband, blaming everything on the wife as well. According to him, she expected to receive 100 retouched and printed images since "Walmart only charges $.29 for a 4x6".

I explained to him that they read and signed the contract and that I am not Walmart. Nonetheless, I offered him a "special deal" - a press printed album with 24 prints in 8x10, saving him about 30% off the price of single prints (and saving me about 50% in production cost).

Maybe you can offer your client a similar deal.

Does this guy even know what RAW files are? I'd bet money that, if you gave this guy the RAW files (which you shouldn't), you'd promptly get a call from him asking you how the heck he can see the files (or he'll tell you that you gave him a bunch of useless fakes).

The simple fact of the matter is that you have a written agreement signed by him and (I assume that) nothing in the agreement grants him any rights to your digital files, RAW or otherwise. If he doesn't like that, tough beans, he agreed to it. If he decides to try to screw in court, I can't see how a contract signed by him wouldn't make for a bulletproof case in your favour.

UGH! Okay, I told this guy no way to the RAW images, but that I would be happy to work with him on a discount on some prints if that helped (my mistake.) He now says he is conducing an online survey about me and my prices and, depending upon what feedback he gets, he will decide if he will buy the prints.

So I just wrote him and said I thought it would be best if we no longer do business together. I will send him the twenty-five dollar print credit to use toward another photographer, and I will destroy the negatives. My son is in intensive care at Johns Hopkins...this guy is being a bastard and I've had enough. The fact that he is conducting a survey with who the heck knows on my prices makes me furious! I am done with him. He can make all the threats he wants. Fact is, he hired me to take photos and now doesn't like my prices so is becoming a bully. Enough said.

Since you own the copyright, could you have some fun in photo shop with the files and post the results?

Might be fun, eh? ;)

Put the RAWs on a CD and burn it. Just like the bridge to a place you never want to see again.

Sorry to hear about your son. I hope he gets well soon!!!

Another reason that I am happy to deal with organizations and companies, rather than individuals. I would have told him that I seldom shoot RAW files and they are never for sale to anyone.

skieur

Thanks. This is the first person I've had who has tried extortion to get me to give him a lower price. I actually have a lawyer client of mine looking into this as well as my friend who is a cop. LOL! He is conducting a public, online survey of my prices then telling me if the general opinion is if they are fair. What the hell is that supposed to mean?!!

So at any rate, I told him I tried my best to accommodate him but could not do business with him if he was going to be doing online discussions of me and my policies then using that to negotiate a low price. I said I would destroy the negatives and he could start fresh with someone else. Was that bad? Now I'm kind of regretting it. I said it very business like, but I'm done dealing with him. I don't know what more I can do, but he is on the verge of harassment now.

Just so you know, generally anyone who is kinda wacky and posts any sort of irate comments about anyone... usually winds up looking wacky. Don't worry about it. Just ignore him.

Personally, I wouldn't have given an inch on the prices or given him any money... but now that you've done it, you've done it. Stick with it, cut your losses and move on.

btw, I also wouldn't destroy the "negatives". Why bother? You took 'em, you own 'em.

Like I said (or I think I said), try not to get emotional about it. He's a whack-a-doo. The world's full of 'em.

Thanks. This is the first person I've had who has tried extortion to get me to give him a lower price. I actually have a lawyer client of mine looking into this as well as my friend who is a cop. LOL! He is conducting a public, online survey of my prices then telling me if the general opinion is if they are fair. What the hell is that supposed to mean?!!

So at any rate, I told him I tried my best to accommodate him but could not do business with him if he was going to be doing online discussions of me and my policies then using that to negotiate a low price. I said I would destroy the negatives and he could start fresh with someone else. Was that bad? Now I'm kind of regretting it. I said it very business like, but I'm done dealing with him. I don't know what more I can do, but he is on the verge of harassment now.

It doesn't matter if your prices are fair. He signed a contract agreeing to them.

...Time to move on. If he can't let it go, file a complaint with your local law enforcement agency.

Cutting your losses does seem like the best option at this point. I wouldn't worry too much, the craizes have a way of outing themselves, and few people take them seriously. I hope your son makes a fast recovery.

Thanks. The only reason I would delete his images is because it's making me sick to look at them. I have his e-mail address set for everything to go in the trash. What a jerk.

Thanks for the wishes about my son. I'm actually off to go be with him and stay with him for the night (just taking a break while my husband stays with him.)

I'll put this bozo out of my mind. Conduct a survey on my prices...WHATEVER!

Do not destroy the shots! Put them on a disc and file them away until after your states statute of limitations runs out. Alot of states are 3 years for general lawsuits (should check yours). He could go to court and say, I changed my mind and agreed to pay her prices, but she refused to print them! Now, he has you in a bind! He could also go to court and say your a bad photographer and the quality was so bad he wanted a refund. Keep the pics to cover your butt!!

Stick to your guns. But hide away the shots for a couple years.

Do not destroy the shots! Put them on a disc and file them away until after your states statute of limitations runs out. Alot of states are 3 years for general lawsuits (should check yours). He could go to court and say, I changed my mind and agreed to pay her prices, but she refused to print them! Now, he has you in a bind! He could also go to court and say your a bad photographer and the quality was so bad he wanted a refund. Keep the pics to cover your butt!!

Stick to your guns. But hide away the shots for a couple years.

Excellent point. I will do that. :) Thank you.

are you kidding? if he isn't getting hi rez images on disc, what makes him think he should get the MASTER DIGITAL FILES on disc? there is NO WAY ANYONE could pay me for the RAWS! they would only get hi rez jpgs and that is all. the RAWS are the holy grail of the shoot. it is clear this guy just wants everything for free. strange how he is asking for the RAWS and not the hi rez jpgs. sounds like he has a graphic designer or someone who can manipulate the RAWs to their needs. forget it!

I have his e-mail address set for everything to go in the trash.

Two suggestions....

Send the emails to a special folder. Don't have to look at them, but don't trash em.

Do NOT resort to any type of public name tagging. It will haunt you in the future if it goes to court. Take a suggestion there.;)

sometimes it's REALLY hard to take the high road on things like this.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back