Climbing Kebnekaise in Lapland

Well, as I mentioned, the mountain is not hard to climb. Everyone with some general fitness can do if the season and weather are OK. Hence many many people climb it each year and you do not have this feeling of 'the world is mine' when you reach the top ;)

Of course for me it was a personal achievement since it was my first mountain after a car drove into me last year. So there was a feeling of achievement. And standing on a mountain and seeing the vastness of the world is always a spiritual experience in a sense, but life does not take a new meaning, at least not for me.

However, one reason for doing these 'wilderness' trips from time to time is to have that close to nature, close to the elements feeling. Without electricity, without water taps and all these modern life gimmicks, you are reminded what life is really about. I think feeling hungry, exhausted, cold, feeling the pain in your shoulders and your feet are experiences which - if you have them from time to time - help to appreciate things you take for granted. You realise the importance of clean water, food, and something warm to wrap around you at night.

If then you come back, and in a restaurant someone complains there is not enough ice in his soda, then this seems so ridiculous to you since you know it is totally irrelevant.

I can't even imagine the feeling in your soul when you reach the summit! Is it a spiritual feeling regardless of your religious beliefs? Do all the troubles in the world seem insignificant? Does life take on a new meaning? Or is it more of "Right On!, Let's Party!" ? Just curious...I am in awe of the whole undertaking...:hail:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back