Computer luck.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by mrsid99, Jun 27, 2004.

1. mrsid99

mrsid99 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

My computer is getting somewhat long in the tooth so over the past few weeks I've been steadily acquiring parts and building a new one, well, Friday night it was all together so I intended to fire it up over the weekend.
    Went out Saturday morning and when I returned I tried to check E-mail on my old faithful, powered it up and there was a sharp crack and a puff of smoke drifted away from the power supply vent.
    I've had a few little struggles with the new one (Windows XP didn't want to recognize a SATA hard drive) but now it's up and running Yaaaaaa!
    Incredible timing having a new one ready to go when the old one died, ESP possibly?

2. Skyeg

Skyeg TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    the computer im using now uses SATA drives, but im not the one who put them in...ill be putting a computer together in a few days with SATA drives is there anythign i need to do differnt when using them? ill probubly be installing win2K and then XP

3. cypilk

cypilk TPF Noob!

its a sign!!!!. ... . lol.. God intended it to be that way :D :D

anyway.. .that was some major luck.. maybe you should get a lottery ticket .. and give it to me =) :shock:

4. mrsid99

Be careful that the Muthaboard CMOS is set up correctly especially if you want to add IDE hard drives too (I did) but that's not what the issue was with mine.
    It's just that initially Windows XP didn't want to load the SATA drivers for some reason, eventually it decided it would go with the program.

5. mrsid99

If I was really lucky the old computer wouldn't have fried in the first place but if I buy a lottery ticket and if I win I'll be certain to thank you!
    BTW, people tell me that my generosity is greater than my charm, I wonder why?

6. karissa

karissa The Untitled

Photos OK to edit
    Hmm... this is good to know.. I'll be building my new pc this weekend with two SATA drives and RAID 0. :D

7. malachite

malachite Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

Computers get suicidal when they know their time is coming to an end. My last computer actually fried (motherboard) while I was using it to order a new computer online. Had to finish the order by phone :p

8. mrsid99

RAID 0 huh? speed over backup?

9. mrsid99

Strange you say that, just last week I had a discussion with my boss who insisted that computers are illogical in their habits and do things for no reason (he compared them to a certain type of lady) and of course I insisted that they're supremely logical and everything happens for a reason...well....let's just say I'm reconsidering my position!
    BTW, I intend to get the old computer working again as well, in fact a new power supply is on it's way.

10. Darfion

Darfion Soapbox guru...

Photos OK to edit
    Would love to build my own someday. Trouble is i've never done one before. Thinking of doing a course at a local college (night school)

11. westman

westman TPF Noob!

can play with RIAD1.
    that's good for playing Bittorrent

12. mrsid99

Putting one together is not tough, a little bit of care and wear an ESD strap and it's fairly straightforward. The heartaches normally start when you try to set up the CMOS and load the OS or at least that's where I've always had the issues.
    If you want to put your own together try to find someone who's done it before to help.
    It's easy to spot them, they have a weird look in their eyes and giggle a lot for no reason.