Computer luck.

mrsid99

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My computer is getting somewhat long in the tooth so over the past few weeks I've been steadily acquiring parts and building a new one, well, Friday night it was all together so I intended to fire it up over the weekend.
Went out Saturday morning and when I returned I tried to check E-mail on my old faithful, powered it up and there was a sharp crack and a puff of smoke drifted away from the power supply vent.
I've had a few little struggles with the new one (Windows XP didn't want to recognize a SATA hard drive) but now it's up and running Yaaaaaa!
Incredible timing having a new one ready to go when the old one died, ESP possibly?

the computer im using now uses SATA drives, but im not the one who put them in...ill be putting a computer together in a few days with SATA drives is there anythign i need to do differnt when using them? ill probubly be installing win2K and then XP

its a sign!!!!. ... . lol.. God intended it to be that way :D :D

anyway.. .that was some major luck.. maybe you should get a lottery ticket .. and give it to me =) :shock:

Skyeg said:
the computer im using now uses SATA drives, but im not the one who put them in...ill be putting a computer together in a few days with SATA drives is there anythign i need to do differnt when using them? ill probubly be installing win2K and then XP

Be careful that the Muthaboard CMOS is set up correctly especially if you want to add IDE hard drives too (I did) but that's not what the issue was with mine.
It's just that initially Windows XP didn't want to load the SATA drivers for some reason, eventually it decided it would go with the program.

cypilk said:
its a sign!!!!. ... . lol.. God intended it to be that way :D :D

anyway.. .that was some major luck.. maybe you should get a lottery ticket .. and give it to me =) :shock:

If I was really lucky the old computer wouldn't have fried in the first place but if I buy a lottery ticket and if I win I'll be certain to thank you!
BTW, people tell me that my generosity is greater than my charm, I wonder why?

mrsid99 said:
Skyeg said:

Be careful that the Muthaboard CMOS is set up correctly especially if you want to add IDE hard drives too (I did) but that's not what the issue was with mine.
It's just that initially Windows XP didn't want to load the SATA drivers for some reason, eventually it decided it would go with the program.

Hmm... this is good to know.. I'll be building my new pc this weekend with two SATA drives and RAID 0. :D

Incredible timing having a new one ready to go when the old one died, ESP possibly?

Computers get suicidal when they know their time is coming to an end. My last computer actually fried (motherboard) while I was using it to order a new computer online. Had to finish the order by phone :p

karissa said:
I'll be building my new pc this weekend with two SATA drives and RAID 0. :D

RAID 0 huh? speed over backup?

malachite said:
Computers get suicidal when they know their time is coming to an end.
:p

Strange you say that, just last week I had a discussion with my boss who insisted that computers are illogical in their habits and do things for no reason (he compared them to a certain type of lady) and of course I insisted that they're supremely logical and everything happens for a reason...well....let's just say I'm reconsidering my position!
BTW, I intend to get the old computer working again as well, in fact a new power supply is on it's way.

Would love to build my own someday. Trouble is i've never done one before. Thinking of doing a course at a local college (night school)

Darfion said:
Would love to build my own someday. Trouble is i've never done one before. Thinking of doing a course at a local college (night school)

Putting one together is not tough, a little bit of care and wear an ESD strap and it's fairly straightforward. The heartaches normally start when you try to set up the CMOS and load the OS or at least that's where I've always had the issues.
If you want to put your own together try to find someone who's done it before to help.
It's easy to spot them, they have a weird look in their eyes and giggle a lot for no reason.

mrsid99 said:
karissa said:
I'll be building my new pc this weekend with two SATA drives and RAID 0. :D

RAID 0 huh? speed over backup?

You bet. Once I get done fighting with Best Buy so that I get a DVD burner that works... Why do I need back up? The only thing I am afraid of losing are my pictures and I will burn those to disk soon and frequently.

My RAID 0 comp came in the mail today and I'm putting it together tomorrow. YEAH BUDDY! I'm SO excited!

karissa said:
My RAID 0 comp came in the mail today and I'm putting it together tomorrow. YEAH BUDDY! I'm SO excited!

Congratulations!
I hope it works out as well for you as my new toy has for me.
Have fun!

mrsid99 said:
If you want to put your own together try to find someone who's done it before to help.
It's easy to spot them, they have a weird look in their eyes and giggle a lot for no reason.
I know just the person you are describing :wink:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back