Confused newbie!

PappyGatmus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just bought my Nikon D5000 today and it's the very first camera I have.
And the lens on it are ED 18-55mm 1:2.5-5.6GII. Not the one which came with the kit.

I am very excited with my new DSLR and went around taking photos around my house. But something was amiss, the picture saved arn't actually the same one I saw through the eyepiece.

No flashes are used and I don't know if I set the settings accidentally because all this things are so alien to me. How do I get my camera to it's default setting or could someone clarify what seems to be the problem with it?

Also if it isn't too much trouble( no offense but I found this forum lacking for newbie), which website can I get a headstart to understand the functions of my camera, the camera didn't come with the manual.

Thanks for your time in advance.

Are you not reviewing the images after you take them on that big bright LCD of yours? Also, the image ins't going to look exactly as you see it through the viewfinder, because thats not how optics necessarily work. When the camera takes the photo it is applying your aperture settings, shutterspeed and iso rating - all of which can contribute to a markedly different photograph than what you "see" through your mirror.

My guess, right off the bat, would be you're using a full frame lens with a DX camera. What that means is you're seeing the image as you would on 35mm film. Since D5000s have a sensor smaller than 35mm film, you get cropping around the outside.

EDIT: Oh, the 18-55mm Nikon are all DX. I have to go with what ANDS! said.

Are you not reviewing the images after you take them on that big bright LCD of yours? Also, the image ins't going to look exactly as you see it through the viewfinder, because thats not how optics necessarily work. When the camera takes the photo it is applying your aperture settings, shutterspeed and iso rating - all of which can contribute to a markedly different photograph than what you "see" through your mirror.
Oh!! That explains everything!

Just to clarify. The pictures I see through my viewfinder hasn't been subjected to the settings I placed on my camera?

I am very excited with my new DSLR and went around taking photos around my house. But something was amiss, the picture saved arn't actually the same one I saw through the eyepiece.

First, congrats on the new camera! It is a good setup and when you learn it's functions and abilities, you'll be taking some great shots.

What you see through the viewfinder isn't always what the camera is going to record. You have to control the exposure to best fit the situation and replicate what it is you're seeing. How is it your photos are differing from what your eye sees? And are you seeing this on the LCD display on the back of the camera or on your computer? If you have some examples of the shots your talking about, post them up and we can help you figure out where things can be fixed.

As for the camera manual, you can find a pdf version of it here.

Set your camera to Auto mode:

nikon_d5000_slr.jpg

That will tell the camera to automatically adjust for your current light conditions and it will take a properly exposed image.

Next up, read your manual to learn how to use the camera. It will explain many of the things you're struggling with.

Finally, buy this book and read it cover to cover - 3 times.

Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera (Updated Edition): Bryan Peterson: Books

Then you should be good to go.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

First, congrats on the new camera! It is a good setup and when you learn it's functions and abilities, you'll be taking some great shots.

What you see through the viewfinder isn't always what the camera is going to record. You have to control the exposure to best fit the situation and replicate what it is you're seeing. How is it your photos are differing from what your eye sees? And are you seeing this on the LCD display on the back of the camera or on your computer? If you have some examples of the shots your talking about, post them up and we can help you figure out where things can be fixed.

As for the camera manual, you can find a pdf version of it here.
Well, thank you!

I view my captured shots from my big flashy lcd screen first and can't help to notice they are tad more yellowish and sometimes darker though the room are lit quite brightly to my eyes.

And also I got a tad playful and snaps the same spot for countless times, some are bright and some are so dark.

Sorry I can't post the pictures I here, I found them awful and deleted them straight.

I view my captured shots from my big flashy lcd screen first and can't help to notice they are tad more yellowish and sometimes darker though the room are lit quite brightly to my eyes.

Generally you should be able to see "yellow" in a room. The camera may well record it is "more yellow", but if you are shooting under incandescent lights - you are going to get that yellow tint in your photos. Nikons are pretty terrible at correcting for white balance - which is what this is an issue of.

As for the different exposures - all depends on what your focus point lands on and how the camera is metering the scene. The only TRUE way to get the same metering is do set your camera in manual mode and do it yourself.

And also I got a tad playful and snaps the same spot for countless times, some are bright and some are so dark.

Issue #1 is going to be your White Balance. Set it to auto if it's not already and adjust to the different settings when your familiar with how it affects your photos.

Issue #2 is just exposure issues. I don't know what mode your shooting in but most of the auto modes do a good job at getting a close exposure if not spot on. Of course this changes as your lighting situations get more difficult to work with but an easy start is to shoot in Aperture Priority Mode (A) and just play around with different apertures.

You have a hefty manual to read through, so good luck and hopefully you'll gain a better understanding of both your camera and photography in general by doing so.

Generally you should be able to see "yellow" in a room. The camera may well record it is "more yellow", but if you are shooting under incandescent lights - you are going to get that yellow tint in your photos. Nikons are pretty terrible at correcting for white balance - which is what this is an issue of.

As for the different exposures - all depends on what your focus point lands on and how the camera is metering the scene. The only TRUE way to get the same metering is do set your camera in manual mode and do it yourself.
Oh, I will take note of that. How helpful!

What do you mean by metering ? Focusing?

Issue #1 is going to be your White Balance. Set it to auto if it's not already and adjust to the different settings when your familiar with how it affects your photos.

Issue #2 is just exposure issues. I don't know what mode your shooting in but most of the auto modes do a good job at getting a close exposure if not spot on. Of course this changes as your lighting situations get more difficult to work with but an easy start is to shoot in Aperture Priority Mode (A) and just play around with different apertures.

You have a hefty manual to read through, so good luck and hopefully you'll gain a better understanding of both your camera and photography in general by doing so.

Erm one last question though. Is it normal not to get a manual included in the box?

And thanks everyone, you guys have been most helpful! I appreciate the help!

I would also check and see if your town/city has a photography club, or any photographers offering courses!! Some photography clubs are great, and pair newbies up with ppl who have been snapping shots for years, and workshops are hands on and very informative. If you have any of those resources available, it'd be a great way to start to 'get to know' your slr. Good luck! Don't get too frustrated! Figuring out a new camera can be pretty overwhelming! BEST OF LUCK! Can't wait to see your future photo's!

Most reactions

Back