Copyrights

JayJay65

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Okays, heres whats going on..

I want to make a website, kinda debating to make my site with flash, or to use a site other then flash, but I doubt I will..

Anyway, I want to have my pictures featured on this flash website, but I dont want my pictures to be stolen.. Can someone teach me how to copyright my pictures so no1 can steal them..

Thanks,
Jesse

Technically speaking, they are copyrighted the moment you make the exposure.

As for people stealing them from your web site, you could put a watermark across them, but that tends to ruin the image.

My philosophy is that if you put 'web sized' images up, they won't really be much good to a potential thief (unless they just use them on the web).

There are things you can do, to prevent people from trying to download your images, but the reality is that if someone is determined enough, they will find a way to get them. There are billions and billions of images on the internet, the chances of someone stealing your photos, with malicious intentions, are pretty small. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Thanks for the, extremely fast reply lol..

The thing is i want to send people who want to buy pictures to this site.. so it increases chances, you know?

Keeping them small certainly reduces the problem, and adding a small watermark with copyright and your name is a good tip too. Using Flash also makes it harder and there are other protection options around, but as already mentioned, don´t worry too much...nobody can do much with small low-resolution images.

What most agencies do is as I´ve mentioned, plus they require anyone who wants to see a better quality image to register...therefore enter a contractual arrangement with you.

If you are building your site in flash it makes it harder for people to steal the images since the right-click can be disabled within the flash swf. However people can still use the 'print screen' button to capture a copy of the image. I would make sure you have a disclaimer and copyright statement written out or linked to somewhere on your site just to try and deter clients from taking the images.

Most reactions

Back