Cost of Medium Format Film

I rather doubt that any film camera can outdo a modern APS-C digital camera consistantly. In some styles of photography large format will have a huge advantage, while in many ways the digital will have advantages.
LF is a very different way of working, not for the faint hearted.

To be able to beat a modern entry level DSLR in inmage quality, you're going to need a fairly good lens, and to print fairly big. Used well even a 5 year old DSLR will be able to produce prints that won't be noticably worse that medium format at 10x8 size prints.

If absolute resolution and image quality are the most important things, then as mentioned, either stick with digital or look for sharp modern lenses for medium-format, which results once again in the higher initial investment because you'll have to spend a lot more on gear.

Comparing the Image Quality of Film and Digital

(Edit: Oh, and PS - thanks Derrel! :) )

Last edited:
If absolute resolution and image quality are the most important things, then as mentioned, either stick with digital or look for sharp modern lenses for medium-format, which results once again in the higher initial investment because you'll have to spend a lot more on gear.

I read that article before and actually thought the Mamiya 7 did pretty well against the D800E. But if what you're saying is true, then I will just keep a Nikon F2 in the trunk of my car and call it a day.

Yup, the Mamiya 7 did very well, but it's also a couple of thousand dollars to get one. If you're looking for similar image quality, you can probably still get it from a cheaper camera, but it's still going to be several hundred dollars at least to get into, for example, a Mamiya RB67, or Pentax 67. And as Mike said a few posts back, Hasselblads are known for their quality and great lenses, but again, they cost more, too - hundreds into thousands for a system.

And then you're also talking about a kit that you don't want to just leave in the car. If you're just looking to have a little fun with film and experiment, then as you say, just pull out the F2 sometimes, or buy a cheap folder or TLR to play. In the meantime, save your money if you're still interested in trying medium-format in a more serious way.

I can't recommend the Mamiya RB67 enough. They weigh a metric f*ck ton, but they're DIRTY cheap and provide incredible image quality for how much they cost these days.

Mamiya RB67 Professional Medium Format Film Camera

$135 plus shipping. Can't go wrong there.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
What's wrong with leaving a RB67 in the car in an air tight box?

I read that article before and actually thought the Mamiya 7 did pretty well against the D800E. But if what you're saying is true, then I will just keep a Nikon F2 in the trunk of my car and call it a day.
The Mamiya 7 will be my next camera to shoot along side my Leicas

If I invested a few hundred dollars in a camera system, I would rather treat it more carefully. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't store anything I cared about in my car. Moisture, temperature changes that can affect lubrication, bumps that could knock the mechanics out of whack, valuable item that can be stolen...

If I invested a few hundred dollars in a camera system, I would rather treat it more carefully. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't store anything I cared about in my car. Moisture, temperature changes that can affect lubrication, bumps that could knock the mechanics out of whack, valuable item that can be stolen...
Even in a Pelican case ?

Even in a Pelican case ?

Like I said, maybe it's just me, but it seems silly to spend so much money on a camera kit, even more money on a fancy case, just to leave it in the car. If I want to leave a camera in a car for a "just in case" moment, I wouldn't be leaving anything expensive. I'd rather keep my important gear safe and sound at home and bring it out when I know I'm going to use it.

And maybe I am also not bothered about having a "just in case" camera at every moment of my life. If I see a gorgeous sunset and don't have a camera with me, you know what I'm going to do? Say "Oh well, no camera" and then enjoy the damn sunset and not worry about it anymore.

Even in a Pelican case ?

Like I said, maybe it's just me, but it seems silly to spend so much money on a camera kit, even more money on a fancy case, just to leave it in the car. If I want to leave a camera in a car for a "just in case" moment, I wouldn't be leaving anything expensive. I'd rather keep my important gear safe and sound at home and bring it out when I know I'm going to use it.

And maybe I am also not bothered about having a "just in case" camera at every moment of my life. If I see a gorgeous sunset and don't have a camera with me, you know what I'm going to do? Say "Oh well, no camera" and then enjoy the damn sunset and not worry about it anymore.
I would never leave my Leicas in the car but I do have a Rollei XF in the car

Much of the year the weather is mild enough where I live that I wouldn't keep a camera with film in it in the car (sun turns it into a greenhouse even in cool weather!).

The thought crossed my mind that a rangefinder might be an option then realized the OP was looking at 120 rather than 35mm; but that could be a way to get something used with a decent lens.

If I leave a camera in the car it would be some old beater that looks like I've dragged it around hockey rinks for years (which I have). That nobody in their right mind would want to break into the car to get!

A TLR seems like a good option to get into medium format.

All good advice and information here, can't add anything new. As an example to illustrate the posts about image quality of mid quality older MF cameras, this was on TriX, flat light overcast day, Welta Garrant.

Lots of film with the 6x9 frame size, all the fun of shooting a nicely made vintage folder, but not the sharpness that a better designed and better quality lens is capable of.

002-woodsz.jpg

I used to leave my water proof compact camera in the car (out of sight in the glove box) when the fantastic sunset scene came along the batteries were dead!
My wife used her phone to record it...

A bigger sensor than either would have been an improvement, but at least we got to enjoy the sunset (the kids were with a baby sitter!) and we still have a snap to remind us.

Horace said:

What's wrong with leaving an RB67 in a car, in an air-tight box?

NOTHING! That's a GREAT place for an RB67! :048::1398::801::aiwebs_016::angel::apathy::calm::butterfly::chargrined::cheerful::clap::Clown::cocksure::cokespit::cold::concern::confused-55::confused-new::band::beaten::barbershop_quartet_member::BangHead:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back