Could you get in trouble for this?

Bokeh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.tracymilburn.com
I was just wondering if the police would complain about this. I'd like to attempt one of those types of night shots where the cars are all blurred in the big highway exchange about 10 miles from my house. The problem is, I'm sure the best vantage point would be on one of the bridges. I was wondering if it would be crazy to set up a tripod along the highway like that, if you stayed out of the way of traffic. It seems a bit dangerous, but i would only be for a few minutes. Anyone have any idea? Thanks

If you are quick and discreet you might be OK. It depends on what the situation is and what the police are like around your way.
My 'professional' advice is to talk to the police. Explain what you want to do and say you are doing it for ... I don't know, tourism, a calendar, something plausible like that. Ask them if it would be OK and would it be safe and so on. If you approach them like that I have always found the police to be very helpful and accommodating.

I dont think they would do anything as long as you are on a shoulder of somesort... and somebridges have sidewalks that i know of, but still if your on a shoulder and then you can snap a few pics im sure it wouldnt be any harm

Depends on what mood they are in.
The main thing is not to cause an obstruction on the highway, or be a potential hazard or distraction.
Having said that, in the UK at least, being on foot or on a bicycle on our motorways is actually illegal.

well, if their isnt signs posted then it should be legal, well, that is here in the states that i know of... but there are usually signs posted in some places saying no you cant be on a bike or foot...

Well, don't park on the bridge for starters. Find a spot along the highway near the bridge that has the widest shoulder, so you are far enough out of traffic. Walk to the bridge. Do it as quickly as possible and you'll be fine.

Askin the police might not be a bad idea, but they will probably say no ;p If they catch you doing it, they will probably just yell at you and make you leave :p

"Probably"

I would say that if it is a place that has pedestrian traffic you should be ok. If people never walk where you want to set up then the police might have a problem.

if you read into the patriot act, you will notice that it is implied that taking photographs of bridges is 'not permitted'. i had more than one friend photographer confronted by police and yet another spent 3 hours at the local fbi headquarters.

all said and done, it IS legal to take photographs of such, but the patriot act is intentionally ambiguous.

- it is your right to photograph
- if the 'authorities' demand your card/film, that is what is considered, 'theft without warrant.' they can't have it.

i tend to just shoot; fear is crippling.

I believe in the US it is also illegal on interstate highway. Matt’s advice is probably the best, plus play dumb but not stupid, have a cover story and be polite

In my area last year that would have been a bad idea. We had a highway sniper shooting at cars from overpasses :cry:

I'm sure if you clued the local police in beforehand or picked a less traveled bridge it wouldn't be a problem. :)

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking along Matt's lines as well. There's also some "Texas Longhorn" bulls over by my work and I have the same question there; about the only place to shoot them would be right by the road. But I must do it; these are really amazing, some of them have like 5' long horns. Haven't seen anything like them in a long time. Thanks again

Most reactions

Back