The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I went to a large juried craft show in Pennsylvania that attracted entrants from all over the US.

There were about 12 photographers there, virtually all showing large prints of colorful scenes from Europe (mostly Italy and France), lots of them very similar.

The most bizarre and disgusting thing is that all but two of them had these over-wrought, amazingly over-saturated colors. So much oversaturated that I expected the color to start leaking out of the print and over the frames. In many of them the white clouds had distinct color casts from the printing.

These were not amateur or cheap in any way. How disgusting. They looked like wall decorations for touristy restaurants with dim lighting.

That's what people like. I bet they're earning good money selling "The Doors of Paris" or "London Pubs" for top dollar.

Good riddance.

If people like them and buy them then they are happy.
If people make them and can sell them then they are happy.
It might not be to my taste but I would be the last to interfere with someone else's happiness (or business venture).
If we were all the same and liked the same things it would be a very boring world.

Oil drilling in wetlands would be OK by that philosophy.

I didn't picket them with signs decrying their taste, I just said it was terrible and ugly.

People are happy eating McDonald's and listening to Destiny's Child. I reserve the right to question their taste.

People are happy eating McDonald's and listening to Destiny's Child. I reserve the right to question their taste.

Why would you question their taste? I suppose they would have the right to question OUR taste, as well.......

There are snobs on both ends of the spectrum.

Why would you question their taste? I suppose they would have the right to question OUR taste, as well.......

There are snobs on both ends of the spectrum.

Why are you calling him a snob?
He just doesn't like their tastes.

My wife likes Jane Austen; I think it's boring
I liked SuperBad, she hated it - that doesn't make either of us me snobs.

I went to a large juried craft show in Pennsylvania that attracted entrants from all over the US.

I think the word 'craft' might gives us a clue. Many of these shows deal with several different media categories. The judges are exposed to strong colors and textures and it might influence their thinking. Also, if they are not photographers themselves, they have little knowledge of the subtleties available to prints.

I have a lot of customers who prefer oversaturated, oversharpened prints. I wonder if it is because their minds remember the scene in that context.

I have a lot of customers who prefer oversaturated, oversharpened prints. I wonder if it is because their minds remember the scene in that context.

OTOH, one of the exhibitors was a LF photographer from Vermont who did some of the best BW prints I've ever seen. Nice guy also. This link below is to one of his best portfolios. I saw some of these prints at the fair and they are exquisite.
http://andrewsovjani.com/galleries/newengland/index.html

Although I have not seen the shots you are talking about, I think that you need to be careful about "branding" shots as over-saturated with the implication that it was done in Photoshop etc. Certainly looking at what is supposed to be white in the photo is an indication.

However, I have shot scenics in wet areas where the greens are very bright and vibrant or where red pavement or red dirt is due to iron particles etc. Lighting and weather conditions or in the case of the "doors" you mentioned a recent paint job would certainly contribute to naturally rich colours.

So, yes a heavy hand on the mouse with Photoshop in saturation or any other feature is not to be recommended, however don't jump to the conclusion that bright, rich, colours necessarily mean Photoshop abuse. It may be just taking advantage of the right shooting conditions.

skieur

So, yes a heavy hand on the mouse with Photoshop in saturation or any other feature is not to be recommended, however don't jump to the conclusion that bright, rich, colours necessarily mean Photoshop abuse. It may be just taking advantage of the right shooting conditions.
skieur

For these colors to be this bright, the shooting conditions would have to be on another planet.

I am happy you voiced your opinion on these photos that we can not see. Only thing that can be said is "different strokes for different folks".

As human beings we must never criticize someone else's work to the point of calling it names like disgusting. It is important to try and understand art as opposed to judging it.

Luv & Bass

As human beings we must never criticize someone else's work to the point of calling it names like disgusting. It is important to try and understand art as opposed to judging it.

If I thought it was produced as 'art' and represented their deep-seated beliefs , I would be more respectful but since there were 9 or 10 with the same exact look - some even very similar subjects - it seemed to be not artistic beliefs that drove them but commercial.

As human beings we must never criticize someone else's work to the point of calling it names like disgusting.

No, thanks for the thought. I reserve the right to use any adjectives I want.

It takes all kinds and there is no accounting for taste.

I think of those two things often as they explain the mysteries of why green shag carpeting, gold crushed velvet, and disco ball lights were such hits/fads in the 70s.

Maybe these axioms should be applied to craft photography?

Ah yes, I will sleep good tonight.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back