Creating a mask from an image's transparancy

kkamin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinkaminphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been using Fluid Mask 3 to cut out complicated subjects from backgrounds--things like hair. It is not important to be familiar with this specific program to understand this question. What the program does is removed the background and adds varying degrees of transparency to the edges. It becomes a destructive way of editing since it deletes pixels. I wish it would create a mask in PS instead of removing the pixel information.

Is there a way to select the transparent and semi-transparent portions of the cut-out image and create an alpha channel out of it, so I can apply it as a mask to the original image?

I know there are work arounds for doing what I want to do, but it would be a lot easier if there is a way to simply create an alpha channel.

Thanks,

Kevin

Mistermonday from Retouch Pro got me the answer. If you are interested this is the solution:

Kevin, If I understand what you are trying to do, then just hold the ctrl key and click on the thumbnail of that cut-out layer. Then Ctrl+Shift+I to invert the selection. Finally Select>Save Selection.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back