Cross Processed Slides

Efergoh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This shot is from an assignment for my color/digital photography class.
Photo was shot on slide film and processed in C41 chemistry. Film was then scanned and "corrected."

Yes, it is grainy, yes the colors are funky, yes the contrast is uber high, but that is part of the aesthetic of cross processing. I have several of shots from this shoot for the assignment, but I have not scanned all of the negs just yet. I could scan the proof prints, but the lab clipped the bottom of all of my negs when they prints and there are several missing toes in the shots. This is the first final print of the series.

Shot was taken at night (just after midnight) at a Roman Catholic Church under High Intensity Discharge street lights using daylight balanced film with no correcting filters.

crosspro001aweb.jpg

Sorry, I see not much in these beyond the 'differentness' of cross-processing. The tops of her breasts are the brightest spots in the picture. There's conspicuous perspective distortion. I think a picture has to go beyond technique to be effective and this doesn't. Sorry.

Efergoh, this forum is for finished work. Pick which version you like and stick with it. Offer us one finished version, or move it to the Specific Technical Assistance forum.

I am sorry to have to say that but I see nothing but breasts trying to pop out...And I don't like it. The color doesn't make much difference to me, and the grain isn't even that obvious and grain has never been a defect.

The defect is that this photo is nothing special to me, I don't get the feel or the idea, and I am not getting the atmosphere.

I am looking forward to see other photographs, that has more in it.

Edit: I was not substantive.

I don't mean to sound insulting here, but I think that's kind of silly. I just don't see the point to cross-processing if all you want to increase are saturation and contrast. Color shift is part of the game. That's what made cross processing so cool before the advent of PS. Because you could get these great off or muted or saturated or completely wrong colors just by processing a certain way. It's similar in my mind to why people shoot Holgas hoping for interesting light leaks. What was great about cross processing was that you knew it was about as far from knowing what your shot would look like as you could get (unless you did a heck of a lot of cross processing). That is to say, when you took your film down to the lab and told them the run it through the wrong chemicals, you were really committing yourself to unforeseeable results. To go back and correct a cross-processed shot is really to not have cross processed at all as far as I'm concerned.

I don't mean to sound insulting here, but I think that's kind of silly.

Don't worry about it, I see your point. I didn't color correct them all, and I didn't truly correct them. The image posted was over exposed, and I had to do a bit of tinkering to get a printable image.

Most reactions

Back