Cruise Ship Photography

Well... I think it's time for an update. I just met with the recruitment guy and here's all the info.

They provide the all the equipment (Nikon) except for a strobe. I think he said something like an MZ-50. But I can't remember.

I have to pay my way over there. Fair enough I guess - because I'm the one who applied for a job in a different country.

It's a 6-9 month contract - but nothing is set in stone. They didn't even have written up contracts until recently - it was all just verbal agreements, which scared me a little.

Depending on what 'brand' they put me on - I'll have to buy a fancy uniform. He said it's about GBP150-200.

Pay is about GBP100 a week for the first couple of months. But if you learn how to print then you can move up pretty quickly and earn more.

If a higher position becomes available - they never hire from outside the company. So basically you have to start off at the bottom and work your way up.

Each boat is it's own business - in the sense of moving through the ranks. ie: if you start off at the bottom on one boat you have to wait for those other people to move on before you can get promoted. You basically never leapfrog another photog on that boat. But you can jump up positions if you change boat. ie: It sounds like it can be a pretty bitchy place with people either proud or defensive of their position. Or that just might be my reading into it.

hmmm what else...

Oh and I also got adrian a job on there too! hehehehe. It was funny - I started talking about the wedding video we shot and that adrian's an audio engineer and I could see his head thinking away... but I said no!!!! let's just see how I go.....then we can talk about him. :)

So now all I have to do is sort out this december holiday problem - and then buy plane tickets! Woo!

How many people are involved in photography on a boat? What would an entry level, ship photographer do and what are the higher positions?

What would the accommodations be like?

Their smallest team on a boat is 5 at the moment and their largest is 9. Entry level spends half their time taking photos and half their time in the shop selling pictures. As you move up the ranks you do more printing of photos and less selling of photos.

Accommodation is sharing a room with another photographer - so that way you can have one on shift and one off - so you get some free time in your room. I can't remember much of what he said about the rooms - but I can imaine they'd be pretty small. Even guest cabin's are pretty small compared to hotel rooms.

oh and I've decided not to go. My holiday to america can't be rearranged. :-( Ah well... I might do it next year.

hehe - so if anyone wants a job with P&O in the UK - let me know and I'll give you the guys email address. - I hear they need a photog.

hehe - so if anyone wants a job with P&O in the UK - let me know and I'll give you the guys email address. - I hear they need a photog.

Sorry to hear that Meysha - would have been a cracking experience!

I thought about taking the offer, as Southampton is only an hour away. I mentioned it to my wife and she seemed to encourage me along with something along the lines of not being here when I get back, not sure where she was planning on going - maybe she'd be out organising a return party for me or something...

She sounded pretty passionate about it though - not heard her swear like that for a while... ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back