D7200 Hands on field test (Video) The Camera Store TV

Conclusion of review is pretty much what I already said myself from just looking at the dry official info on this camera, its a wonderful solid camera, it fixed up the D7100 main issue of small buffer but all in all it is not a huge step from the already amazing D7100.
I whole heartily agree with Chris, if you already own the D7100 it is not worth to upgrade to the D7200 unless you do a lot of serious nature/sports.

With a product cycle time of only 12 to 18 months or so it's not easy to introduce much in the way of new features or increased capabilities, let alone make a 'huge step' of some sort. So it's little wonder each new model on so short a cycle is only an incremental step better than the previous model.

Note that neither Canon nor Nikon have product cycle times that short for their pro and prosumer grade cameras where the product cycle times usually somewhere between 24 and 60 or so months.

I watched the review last night. My impression is that the new model has significantly improved autofocusing performance, as seen in the low-light testing, and also with the slow zoom lens + converter tests. The buffer of 27 RAW 24 megapixel frames matches the 27 frame .NEF buffer of the 2009 D3x, which was $7999 at into. This camera now has NFC, and WiFi built in. It has what is currently close to state of the art video for a d-slr. Overall, I though the guy totally,totally missed what the camera "is", in his blind expectation of massive, quantum leaps forward with each new generation. This is sort of the danger of having a young man who works at a camera store and who is used to state of the art gear...he's like the spoiled uber-rich kid, the one whose daddy provides him with everything he has...and he's not happy with his current 2015 Mercedes, and is expecting a 2016 Mercedes the day it comes out...but it's not 2016 yet! Wahhh! wahh! wahhh!

The attitude in this video, as one might get from a camera store employee, is that the item under review is to be compared ONLY to the prior model...which is foolish, since there are a great many buyers moving up from a generation back, or even two generations back, OR who are moving into the segment for the first time, perhaps from an old, outdated beginner-level camera like say a D3000 or D5000 or even a D80,etc.. Overall, a pretty narrow point of view, one that considers what the product "is not", rather than what it actually "is".

Again, the spoiled rich kid type of attitude is what comes through, and also, the utter lack of buying guidance which evaluates the product ONLY as it related to the immediately prior model in the same, exact class... Big mistakes, all of them. It's got state of the art performance in multiple areas, buuuuut, it is faulted for not being a quantum leap. Oh...and he doesn't like the D7200 name because it reminds him of the 70-200 lens. Wow...mental hangups much???

He didn't mention the embarrassing price gap for Canadians: C$1,360(D7200)-vs-C$950(D7100). Suspect that took a bit of the thrill out of the pitch. Could be a hard sell without some incentives.

He didn't mention the embarrassing price gap for Canadians: C$1,360(D7200)-vs-C$950(D7100). Suspect that took a bit of the thrill out of the pitch. Could be a hard sell without some incentives.
Thank the much stronger US market and low oil prices.
We get shafter for anything that is coming from the outside nowdays thanks to lower Canadian Dollar............oh well I rather have strong US economy then strong Canadian Dollar and weak US economy.

Here is the big problem camera makers face today, we see that with the Canon 7D II, Olympus EM-5 II, Nikon D7200 and in a way even the Nikon D750

Sensors technology has reached very high peek which I doubt sensor makers will be able to dramatically improve unless some new technology will be found.
This means we can improve processor, AF system and many other things but the heard of the system has reached maturity.
Camera makers will try to find gimmicks like the EM-5 that has 16MP sensor that can create 40MP files or any other good idea they can come up with but at the heart of it they are going to have basically same sensor.
Also camera technology has matured a lot, AF system on the D7100 was already excellent, the one on the D7200 is even better and trust me when I say that and I speak from experience in most cases you will not notice a big difference. Only real improvement I see in the D7100 is the bigger buffer.

D7200 is today best crop sensor camera in the market but (in my humble opinion) so was the D7100, it simply raised the bar even higher.

Well, I'll be buying the. I've had the D7k and D7100. I think with the 100 step up in the model number, I'm going to take photos that will auto upload to the front covers of Nat Geo.

Well, I'll be buying the. I've had the D7k and D7100. I think with the 100 step up in the model number, I'm going to take photos that will auto upload to the front covers of Nat Geo.
Sorry confused, what are you going to get ?

curious, what price was the D7100 when it came out?

Here is the big problem camera makers face today, we see that with the Canon 7D II, Olympus EM-5 II, Nikon D7200 and in a way even the Nikon D750

Sensors technology has reached very high peek which I doubt sensor makers will be able to dramatically improve unless some new technology will be found.
This means we can improve processor, AF system and many other things but the heard of the system has reached maturity.
Camera makers will try to find gimmicks like the EM-5 that has 16MP sensor that can create 40MP files or any other good idea they can come up with but at the heart of it they are going to have basically same sensor.
Also camera technology has matured a lot, AF system on the D7100 was already excellent, the one on the D7200 is even better and trust me when I say that and I speak from experience in most cases you will not notice a big difference. Only real improvement I see in the D7100 is the bigger buffer.

D7200 is today best crop sensor camera in the market but (in my humble opinion) so was the D7100, it simply raised the bar even higher.

I think you can go as far back as the D7000. Sure, the D7100 has its advantages over the D7k in many departments, but if you take photos from both cameras and put them in front of anyone, no one would be able to tell which photo came from which camera, especially after artistic post. Much of today's technology is sold based on gimmicks or clever marketing, whichever you want to call it. I asked my photographer, who uses a 5d mkii, how he lives with only one cross type. He asked me what's that? I can only dream of having his talent, but my point is, the majority of the talent out there couldn't care less about the bells and whistles.

Sorry confused, what are you going to get ?

I don't know, goodguy. At this point, my hands are thrown up in the air. It's a battle between my want for something and being practical for my purpose.

cgw said:

We alllllll know the drill by now...the camera was introduced like a week ago...at full, introductory retail price, which varies by country and continent, based mostly on the regional distributor's policies; like in Australia, there's hefty,hefty percent price gouge on all Nikon merchandise imported to that place!!!

Incentives? Those will come with time, after the first round of early adopters have bought. We know you know that...you're a Thom Hogan reader...Thom has been going on about the way Nikon has been conditioning its customers to WAIT in order to get cameras at a discounted price...and of course, we know that once the D7200 has actually been in retail stores and available on the web for a time, that the price will go down in stages...and we know that you know that by the time the D7200 is officially designated EOL (end of life) that it will hit about $999,or less.

Want to be the first kid on the block to buy a brand new, just-released, limited supply model? Be prepared to pay full retail..not discounted, End-of-Life prices.

I like the reviews from these Calgary guys.
And totally agree with the video's conclusions here.

cgw said:

We alllllll know the drill by now...the camera was introduced like a week ago...at full, introductory retail price, which varies by country and continent, based mostly on the regional distributor's policies; like in Australia, there's hefty,hefty percent price gouge on all Nikon merchandise imported to that place!!!

Incentives? Those will come with time, after the first round of early adopters have bought. We know you know that...you're a Thom Hogan reader...Thom has been going on about the way Nikon has been conditioning its customers to WAIT in order to get cameras at a discounted price...and of course, we know that once the D7200 has actually been in retail stores and available on the web for a time, that the price will go down in stages...and we know that you know that by the time the D7200 is officially designated EOL (end of life) that it will hit about $999,or less.

Want to be the first kid on the block to buy a brand new, just-released, limited supply model? Be prepared to pay full retail..not discounted, End-of-Life prices.
Remember when people were paying extra to get the pt cruiser?

using tapatalk.

Reactions: alv

Most reactions

Back