D750 & d7100 differences

hamlet

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A :icon_smurf:-friend of mine wants to also upgrade, but he wants to know what the differences are between the d750 and the d7100? I've never thought about this actually, what makes the d750 better over the d7100 other then that it is full frame? Where i live the d750 costs 3 times more than the d7100.

I heard the film is cheaper for the 750

I want to go to full frame because of the lenses, but i don't know how to explain to him why it is worth upgrading.

it probably isn't, to be honest.
unless need the low light full frame swivel screen and wifi.
Generally speaking, your average shooter probably wouldn't need too. Maybe you guys should DOWN grade? Much cheaper, and you still have a new camera to play with. Plus with less money invested it could be more fun. And if you downgrade, you can be different than everyone else.

D7100 + 18-35 art + dx uwa = 2300-ish.

D750 + 24-70 + 16-35 = 5000+

Decent price difference. There is a difference, don't know how much that difference matters for your pictures... Only you know.

I don't know either. I've never had the urge to get a full-frame body.

Thanks everyone. I suppose there is not really a legitimate reason to upgrade. I'll tell him to buy a d7100 instead and get a art lens with it.

Thanks everyone. I suppose there is not really a legitimate reason to upgrade. I'll tell him to buy a d7100 instead and get a art lens with it.
legitimate reason would be up to him not you. What does he consider a legit reason?

legitimate reason would be up to him not you. What does he consider a legit reason?
That's what this thread is for. If you can think of something to justify paying 3 times more, then i'm all ears.

That's what this thread is for. If you can think of something to justify paying 3 times more, then i'm all ears.
I actually am "okay" with the 7100 but I am not a huge fan of it. it isn't very fun to shoot. I will probably still keep it in the family until it stops shooting and dies, however i do plan on moving to another camera to go with it and the others if nothing else. For me the tilt screen and lowlight would be tempting and i like the video.
However the general Nikon feel, well i don't think the cameras are very fun. quite frankly. Far as the 7100 i am not a huge fan of the video, but other than that i still haven't used the camera to near its full potential, or even bought lenses for it to use it toward its full potential (probably keep it ten years in the house and never will).

Have you considered a d3300 instead ?

The reason is that he won't doubt the rest of his life that FX is better than DX because he already will have had it and will sleep better, forget about equipment and finaly start think about composition, light and other much more important for photography things.

I miserate over this from time to time. I'm still using my D7000 and probably will be for a while. I do know that the D750 should have a bigger brighter viewfinder. There should be more recoverable shadow detail and 1 to 2 stops less noise at high ISO. It should have better snappier auto focus. So all in all, depending on the circumstances, some pictures but not all should look better. If he shoots primarily wildlife with long tele's and has to crop a lot, he might be better off with his D7100.

To sum it up: One is FX one is DX.

Both have 24MP sensors, so the FX version will have better low-light performance it also has higher native ISO.

Both have the 51pt autofocus system, but the D750 has the latest 91k-Pixel RGB sensor as seen in the D4. This should provide better focus performance and image results.

The D750 has the EXPEED 4 processor vs. the 3 to improve the continuous FPS speed and gives you better video options (auto-iso in video).

The D750 has a buffer capacity of (15) 14-bit RAW files, the D7100 only (6).

The D750 gives you built in wifi and the tilting screen--and they also packed in a bunch of extra image modes and features such as a Time Lapse shooting mode and the highlight exposing programs.

If you like the D7100 but want to go full-frame and get some of Nikon's latest enhancements/features, then the D750 would make a lot of sense.

Last edited:
I want to go to full frame because of the lenses, but i don't know how to explain to him why it is worth upgrading.

Explaining verbally might be difficult. Just show him the differences that the two formats make in photographs. If he can't see the difference, then it will not be worth the extra cost.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back