D800 pixel count

bs0604

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know the new D800 has a large 36 megapixels sensor, much more than say my current D90. Does this translate in to more pixels packed in to the same unit of area compared to lower pixel camera? And if so does this mean that when you crop and blow up your digital image, that the image will be sharper compared to a the lower pixel camera?

The sensor size is unchanged as far as I know, still 36mm x 24mm, so yes it does mean more pixels packed in the same area (although not the same area as a D90 since the D90 has a DX sensor and the D800 has an FX sensor). If the image is cropped then the cropped area will also have a higher pixel density than a lower resolution sensor but it will only be sharper in the sense that there is less pixelation at higher crop ratios. If the image was not sharp to start with a higher density sensor will not resolve that.

Thank you Scott. Assuming the image is sharp, then the D800 will have a better resolution at blown up magnification than an FX camera with less pixel count?

Yes.

Resloution is 300% of what a D700 will be.

That isn't a freeby though as it will require a bit more skill and high quality glass to take advantage of those pixels.

The sensor is the exact same sensor as in the D4. They added a truckload more pixels to slow it down significantly (FPS) and decrease ISO performance as compared to the D4.

The sensor is the exact same sensor as in the D4. They added a truckload more pixels to slow it down significantly (FPS) and decrease ISO performance as compared to the D4.

I don't see how that can be. The number of photo sites on a sensor is a physical property of the wafer from which it is made, is it not. So I would think a higher pixel density would require a physically different sensor.

I don't see how that can be. The number of photo sites on a sensor is a physical property of the wafer from which it is made, is it not. So I would think a higher pixel density would require a physically different sensor.

I'm probably mistaken. The guy at the camera shop (salesman) and Nikonrumors may have pumped me full of BS!

I was told its the same EXPEED 3 image processor, with the D800 drummed way down in many ways.

It is the same Expeed3 processor and shares other features but yeah, what Patrice says is logical of course. I'm sure it's the same basic technology but obviously the sensors are different.

That's correct. The D800's sensor uses the same technology as the D4's but like you said, pixel count is a property of the sensor, therefore the two sensors must be different.

Ok, thanks for clarification.

There must be a reason the D4 same processor, shoots faster and performs better , has less magapixels. ButNikon says the truckload on the D800 sensor is the cat's meow
biggrin.gif

I am still a little confused. Take a picture of, eg a house with the D800 and the same picture with an FX camera (same lens, F stop etc.) which has a lower pixel count and then project the images on to identical monitors such that the house just fits in exactly the same on the two monitors. My current understanding is that the total number of pixels making up the house in the D800 will be more, than the total number of pixels in the other FX camera. Thus each pixel in the D800 picture would have to be smaller and hence better resolution. Or am I off?

Everything else perfect, the D800 will have a higher resolution than another camera (any other DSLR FX) meaning you could enlage the photos more or crop 2/3 of the frame and retain the same resolution as a D3/D700

Yes.

Resloution is 300% of what a D700 will be. .

I don't thing so! Where did you come up with that?

Oh, I see, you are NOT aware that 2X the megapixels only means a 20% improvement in resolution, so 3X the megapixels does NOT equal anywhere close to a 300% improvement in resolution.

skieur

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back