Darn. Broke my lens. Repair, replace, upgrade...

zulu42

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Nikkor 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 took a tumble while mounted to my camera. When I picked it up, the zoom was over-extended showing a gap between the zoom ring and the front extending section of the lens.

In the moment, in a slight bit of panic, I made the poor choice of pushing the lens back together, zoom retracted, everything flush and flat again.

Now the lens is jammed, the zoom ring is jammed and nothing moves. Maybe the focus ring still moves. None of the glass broke.

I do like the lens. Don't love it, but I think it's really good for the price. I guess I'll send it in for a repair quote and go from there.

Of course there was a slight gas trigger as I thought maybe it's time to go for a 24-70 2.8 or get a couple primes to fill the gaps the broken lens has left.

Has anybody had a similar repair done? Any idea what a repair might cost? Any other thoughts?
Thanks!

Mourn...

Gnash teeth, pull hair.

Bang head, repeat.

Wear black and wail to God for forgiveness.

I did much the same to a Canon 35-350.

suck it up and buy a new one.

The only lens repair I have had done was a sticking auto focus on an EF/S 70-300 Canon.

It is practically a disposable lens so had it not been under warranty I would have simply replaced with a used one for $100 from the local shop.

I think this is an opportunity to get what you've had your eye on for a while...whatever that is!

Let us know what you do.

Add me to the club, I had a round filter attached that would not come off. I used the rubber band method but over rotated focus now it will not work

Sorry to hear & hope it doesn't cost too much to repair. I had one of those "oh crap" moments a couple weeks ago. I had one of my smaller bags (a Targus sling bag) sitting on the kitchen counter with a couple of lenses in it. I had the 6D camera out of the bag, thankfully. Anyway, I thought the bag was fully zipped up, but it wasn't. When I grabbed the bag off the counter, my Canon 135 F2 prime fell out onto the hard tile kitchen floor! My heart sank! Luckily I had the lens hood on and the only damage was a very slight mark on the part of the hood that fits onto the camera. The lens itself seems none the worse for wear. Memo to self: SLOW DOWN!

Canon 135 F2 prime

Ouch. That is a very nice lens from what I hear.

Side note, I have my bodies in those rubber protective covers which should cushion a small fall but unfortunately I don't think there is much we can do for a lens. I am guessing the hood has saved many a lens.

I've never had a lens repaired, only evaluated.

The last time I sent a camera in (D3) I was told they didn't have the parts available. If this is an older and less popular lens, you may be in the same situation.

If you've always liked using it, then get another. If you always found yourself wishing there were something different about, well then its time to get something else.

Depends on the repair estimate, and the original cost of the lens, and the cost of a potential replacement lens. We don't have enough real information to make a decision, and _our_ decision is immaterial.. _Your_ decision is what counts here.

Thanks for the replies. Yep, I don't have enough information either. It will all come down to repair cost.
I have about $300 in the lens. I bought it bundled (used) with my D800.

If the repair is $100, for sure I will pay for that and keep it. If the repair is $250, I might have some thinking to do.

I like the idea of shooting primes more, but that zoom is super handy. I think I used it more than any other lens for general shooting.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I had a 135 f/2.8 Pre AI roll off a ledge on me this weekend, I used my foot to break the fall. My lens is fine but can't say the same for my foot. All metal tank like Nikkor lens. My foot is bruised and swelled up 2 days later.

I had a 135 f/2.8 Pre AI roll off a ledge on me this weekend, I used my foot to break the fall. My lens is fine but can't say the same for my foot. All metal tank like Nikkor lens. My foot is bruised and swelled up 2 days later.

I had a carpentry "incident" last summer rebuilding the steps and deck leading into the house. Actually two, I managed to drop two different (and heavy) items, one on each foot. Only recently has all the black grown out from under both big toe nails....

In the past I dropped my 1Ds on my foot that broke that fall.
VERY painful and three days of swelling.

Also dropped a RB67 on my left foot years ago with the edge corner hitting my middle tow. Saved the lens nicely, but same story. Three days of swelling.

I do sympathize.

I had a carpentry "incident" last summer rebuilding the steps and deck leading into the house. Actually two, I managed to drop two different (and heavy) items, one on each foot. Only recently has all the black grown out from under both big toe nails....

Oh, man. How convenient to smash both feet.

I've got to be more careful with my gear. No lens hood. That might have saved the lens.

Ouch, I feel your pain. I had a lucky escape on a beach with rocks and I rotated a knob on my tripod head the wrong way causing the camera tk fall 5 feet, luckily it hit a grassy patch and was none the worse for wear.

My dad had a 1DX with a 24-70mm f2.8 L balanced on the Raeburn (an old fasioned stove) in his house and it fell on to the hearth. The lens broke the fall of the body and ended up in two parts

Most reactions

Back