Depression

joshj2398

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What is a good picture that would represent the theme of depression in The Catcher in the Rye? I can't think of anything.

Catcher in the Rye, eh? I'd say a rocks glass with some half-melted ice and a cigarette butt inside. Maybe sitting on top of a textbook and sweating on it, ruining the cover. It's been a while since I read it - wasn't there a baseball glove or something? Something he had of his dead sibling? Maybe a part of that in the frame in the background. I envision a very shallow depth of field here - close-up detail. And not black and white. That's too easy. It's more depressing to see drab color.

Edited: And if this is for a class, I totally want credit if it gets a good grade ;)

So out of curiosity, which high school class are you wanting us to do your homework for you?

Catcher in the Rye, eh? I'd say a rocks glass with some half-melted ice and a cigarette butt inside. Maybe sitting on top of a textbook and sweating on it, ruining the cover. It's been a while since I read it - wasn't there a baseball glove or something? Something he had of his dead sibling? Maybe a part of that in the frame in the background. I envision a very shallow depth of field here - close-up detail. And not black and white. That's too easy. It's more depressing to see drab color.

Edited: And if this is for a class, I totally want credit if it gets a good grade ;)

I was actually considering taking an old baseball glove of mine, writing some poems on it, and placing a friends hand next to it (I'd make his hand look dead if that makes sense), but that one with the glass and book sounds pretty interesting. And yes, I will be sure to give you credit if I get a good grade :wink:

A dead crop field filled with battered up dolls?

That's good, but I don't happen to have a dead crop field nearby nor do i have any dolls.

Well see there you go - all you need is a selfie with you lamenting the fact that you don't have a field filled with a dead crop or any dolls. Bam! That will be $32.50.

Have you read the book? If so, what do you see as the major theme for Holden’s depression? I would think that would give you lots of ideas.

Have you read the book? If so, what do you see as the major theme for Holden’s depression? I would think that would give you lots of ideas.

Well it's been a while and I can't remember if he was all bummed out because he couldn't find a sled or if he was sent deep into the depths of depression after learning that the big bad evil guy who killed his surrogate father was his actual biological father and because of the Empire's complicated legal system you weren't actually allowed to sue a Dark Lord of the Sith for back child support. Pretty sure it was one of the two.

Well it's been a while and I can't remember if he was all bummed out because he couldn't find a sled or if he was sent deep into the depths of depression after learning that the big bad evil guy who killed his surrogate father was his actual biological father and because of the Empire's complicated legal system you weren't actually allowed to sue a Dark Lord of the Sith for back child support. Pretty sure it was one of the two.
I think you are confused, we are talking about this guy...Holden_Catcher_0.png

Not this guy....Anakin-fanart-anakin-skywalker-23147193-669-815.jpg

Yeah, the baseball glove with the poems and dead hand. That takes the approach of showing what made him depressed. My thoughts went immediately to the shape his depression took - namely rebellion, lots of drinking and smoking and pissing (metaphorically) on the stifling authority of school, parents, respectability (represented by the textbook.)

I'm really curious to see what you come up with, actually. It's an interesting assignment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back